Telemark ski with Inserts

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

taz

Telemark ski with Inserts

Post by taz »

Hi
I just recently have finished a Ski and would like to show it to you, but i cannot figure out how to post a Picture...
Idris

Post by Idris »

you need to use "Image"

just without quote " " marks
taz

Post by taz »

(i was hoping there was a imageupload function here...i was too lazy)

the specs are 133,88,111 with a radius of 16.5m
the effective edgelength that touches the snow is 144.5cm with a 22cm nose and a 13cm tail.
the core thickness varies from 1.4mm in the tail to 9.4mm in the middle to 1.2mm in the tip.
chamber is something around 1.4mm, it varies a little.
it contains a total of 3 triax fiberglass layers (plus a biax glass reinforcement in the insert area), one kevlar unidirectional and a carbon topsheet layer.
i am heaviely pleased with the weight of 1.8kg per ski. i removed all the exceed epoxy before pressing, so there wasn't much epoxy that came out on the sides. i pressed with five carjacks in a snowboard press.
haven't got the chance to ride it yet but it will be a special experience to ride a first self made ski.

(ltr) finished ski, base after the press, core bottom.

Last edited by taz on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
endre

Post by endre »

nice first skis!
kind of Zag-ish shape?
taz

Post by taz »

i tried the approach of a ski that has good initial turning ability with perfect edge hold while carving.
i moved the widest part of the ski forward into the tip and the same i did with the tail. while flat on the snow, the effective edge is very short. as you continue to increase the angle of the ski against the snow the effective edge "grows" gradually from 144.5 to 153cm. i know that is not some revolutionary breaktrough but i am convinced that this works great on all kinds of conditions.
also uplift in powder was very important, that is why i made a very long tip and much pintail. that is what gives the ski the kinda-look of a zag, but in real you clearly see the differences. (i didn't want someone say "woah looks like a zag, cool...) and it doesn't.
collin

Post by collin »

Those are some purdy skis. How'd you do the cutout on the tails? Just a template and a razor?
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
taz

Post by taz »

I drew the shape with a pencil on the white base, then i cut it out with a Stanley-Knife. Then i used that white piece as a Template to cut it out from the ski-base. All handmade Swallowtail-Lookalike 8)
Idris

Post by Idris »

Nice one. Is the Carbon a structural element or just cosmetic?
taz

Post by taz »

its another element of the sandwich construction. it's 240g/m^2

it almost looks too nice to put a design over it, but i am planning to make a design with uv-stabilized coating or on duraclear-foil and add it to the ski later.

i'll send an update when i'm ready. but that could take months...