things not to do/ stuff you learned along the way

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

things not to do/ stuff you learned along the way

Post by vinman »

I'm very new here and there is a ton of info on what to do and I've learned a ton already but....

What are the things a skibuilder JONG should know NOT to do before trying to build a first pair of skis?

What mistakes did you make, what bonehead manuvers did you pull and what absolutely killed your desgn and layup process.

So bring it on...... I image some of the stories will be pretty entertaining as well as informative.

Vin
plywood

Re: things not to do/ stuff you learned along the way

Post by plywood »

don`t ever try to build sidewalls out of epoxy and fibreglass during layup - total failure, needed about 1kg of epoxy just for the sidewalls ;)

i think that`s the dumbest thing i did so far.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I would suggest that you take you time and research each step individually as you go. There is so much information and it is hard to recall it each time. I also think everyone has their own way or tweaked it some to accomidate their capacity of tools, time, shop ect...
But most important is take your time and be sure that you are safe! High pressures and chemicals...
rockaukum
Idris

Post by Idris »

Go simple as possible first (I think davide's methods are simplest).

Don't try to make sidewalls first time out. Give yourself lots (1 cm at least) margin for error on core shift.

Don't try to re invent the wheel first time out. Stick to fiberglass and wood core.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Here’s another one. Don’t hook the compressor your heaters and vacuum unit to the same circuit without checking on it every so often. I blew a breaker last night some time after 2:00 am. (the last time I checked things out). Good part is the skis were in the bag for 4.5-5 hours before I went to bed. I got up early to have a look and no vacuum no heat, and the circuit I started moving the heaters to was dead due to a GFI outlet malfunction. :x

When it rains it pours.

I’ll laugh about this later. Right now I’m a bit stressed. :evil:

Hafte
Lennard

Post by Lennard »

don't get to close to a belt sander with your fingers!
pretty happy that i still have 10 of them!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Use high quality fasteners in your press. I didn't the first time, and the fasteners exploded, along with the press. The air bladder survived though :)

Oh, and be careful with the chemicals if you choose to use something other than 2-part epoxy. My first pair was built with a resin that used a catalyst. The stuff was very toxic smelling, and still, when I touch the skis with bare hands, it doesn't feel very good on the fingers (burns a little). The skis also still smell bad, and toxic, after 1 year!
vinman

Post by vinman »

all good stuff, keep it coming. My friend and I are acuriing parts for our press and will hopefully be pressing a prototype in the next couple months.

I've learned a ton from this site thanks for the info guys and keep the what not to do's coming.
East_Coast_Style

Post by East_Coast_Style »

haha, it will take longer and cost more than you think