how to stiffen up skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cordoozie

how to stiffen up skis

Post by cordoozie »

my freind and i have just started building are first few skis and are stumped on how to make them stiffer and more lively. we have doubled the glass load and havnt had chance to test them yet. any advice would be great please help. :?
plywood

Re: how to stiffen up skis

Post by plywood »

either you put more glas on - this will just stiffen the overall stifness of the whole ski by adding the same amount of stiffness over the whole ski - or you change your core profile, which means you`re building thicker cores in the middle. this also adds stiffness, but the ski gets relatively stiffer in the center compared to the areas near tip and tail.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

The stiffness of any laminate, including skis and snowboards, is determined by the thickness of the core. Nothing else. Fiberglass relates to the strength of the laminate. Extra glass will not necessarily make for a stiffer feeling ski.
plywood

Post by plywood »

of course it will! it`s both, the core thickness and the glass.and it is as i wrote :D ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
kwetsor

Post by kwetsor »

Of course it is ...
I would also add Shear modulus of the core, Laminate properties (Thickness, reinforcement modulus, fiber volume fraction in the laminate, resin properties, lay-up direction, ...)
But it's also true that the thickness of the core is the main way to add stiffeness with same laminate properties ...

With a little bit of experience, I prefer to build my skies with less core thickness but more laminate thikness (for example 3mm back and front, 10.5mm center).

Kwetsor
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I meant something different than what I wrote. If that makes any sense. I should have written something more to the extent of that the thickness of the core material has a more significant impact on what we refer to as the "flex" of the board than any other property in the build. I am not talking about the "snappiness" or the "feel" of the board. Those characteristics are related to the glass and other materials used in the board. I probably am not saying it right still.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

adding carbon and or carbon/kevlar can do it too

you can also do it by changing the rate at which your thickness tapers down.

but yea generally speaking, anywhere you want to stiffen up, make that section thicker

if you want an overall stiffer ski everywhere, then do what was suggested and add half a mm or so to the overall core thickness
Doug
mark

Post by mark »

Don't over look the fact that given two boards with the same core profile, if you use more glass on top of one, it will have more glass and it will be thicker.