Kinkos board outline accuracy

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

esscher

Kinkos board outline accuracy

Post by esscher »

I went to my local kinkos to have my board and core outlines printed on their large printer (the ones that architects usually use), and they came out inaccurate. I think they were off by about a centimeter.

What kind of printer is going to be accurate? Will it need to be some kind of plotter?

Esscher
mark

Post by mark »

It may be more of a file or program issue than a printer issue. My friend at work often has to re-size drawings before printing them if they are imported from an other program. The snow-cad files I give him all need it done. If you need, he will print templates on paper for $5 a sheet plus shipping. The paper he uses is wide enough that you may be able to get two ski shapes side by side.
esscher

Post by esscher »

1. Would it be more accurate printing from a .dxf file?
2. How does he resize them, do you know?
3. If I decide not to use a CNC service, I'll definitely let you know about having him print them up for me!

Thanks

Esscher
hansonc

Post by hansonc »

esscher wrote:1. Would it be more accurate printing from a .dxf file?
You'd probably have to ask this at Kinkos. Find out what the software used to control the printer handles natively and use that if available to you.
mark

Post by mark »

esscher wrote:1. Would it be more accurate printing from a .dxf file?
2. How does he resize them, do you know?
1. Not sure.

2. I believe he just re-scales the shape in his program to the correct over-all or running length and everything adjusts in proportion to that. All I know for sure is things come out straight and correct.
stenmark

Post by stenmark »

Are you using snoCad-X? And printing the .pdf file?
Rico Shine

Post by Rico Shine »

Hey guys.

I printed Marks templates for him when he did his build.

I have a 36" wide plotter/printer. I currently run 24" paper.

If you do a drawing in SnoCAD, and send me (or Mark) the DXF file, I can print it. My printer actually prints to scale. If I am to print them for you guys, I would need the DXF file, and the sizes of the snowboard (to check them for accuracy)

Kinko's or Staples should be able to do it to scale, but a lot of times when you transfer to PDF, or other format, you lose scale. Kinko's *Might* be able to print directly from DXF, but the problem is that you are leaving some kid to decide your scale for you.

PDF's can be printed to scale, they just need to be created a certain way. Another thing I could do would be to take your SnowCAD DXF's and make them a PDF (with proper scale) and send it out, so that you guys could save it on your computer and print it at your local Kinko's whenever you want. (Provided they print on roll paper and can make you a long print)

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

-Eric
esscher

Post by esscher »

stenmark,

yes i am using snocad and have used it to convert to a pdf with which I have taken to kinkos to print.

Scott
Chubz

Post by Chubz »

Hey rico

Would you be willing to print up some templates for me for the alpine boards I plan on doing?

Also when you guys draw up your templates to rpint, are you doing the tempate for core cutting or the actual finished shape of the skis/boards?

Let me know

thanks
Chubz
Rico Shine

Sure

Post by Rico Shine »

Sure, just send them to me in DXF format with the stats and I can do it.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Chubs,
On the template, If you draw to the finished size you ski will be wider. You would need to take into account the width of the edge or when cutting the base, re-locate the template to the side (equal to the width of the exopsed edge) and cut one side then move it over to the other side and cut again. hope I expained it correctly.
rockaukum
Rico Shine

Post by Rico Shine »

Thats easy, if you guys give me the specs I can offset a line for you.

What I can do, before I print these, I can email them out in PDF format so you can check them.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

to account for edge thickness, just account for it in your DESIGN, no?

just make your ski x-mm narrower and x-mm shorter in snocad, keep same sidecut
Doug