Sidewall attachment

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

steadfast

Sidewall attachment

Post by steadfast »

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for quite some time around here and figured I'd register and start posting.

I'm curious as to how everybody is attaching their sidewall to their cores...

What are you using and what methods have worked best for you?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

ive used a hot glue gun and or staples and just tacked them

other people bond entire sidewall surface to core with various glues

i just now thought of this: what if we use router bits and make joints between core/sidewall? then just slip them on? i'm going to do that and report

some people dont even attach them, they snap fit them in during layup or have a cassette and sidewall/core toleranced so that the sidewall just fits right in
Doug
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Only did it once and used west systems. No problems, yet
rockaukum
Last edited by rockaukum on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki_otoko

Post by Yuki_otoko »

I just use the same epoxy that I use to lay with. Making sure its been sanded and flamed first. Im pretty tough on sidewalls. I have aleady had to repair two boards from direct hits to the sidewall. Both cases the sidewalls were gouged and the fibreglass split away (these were bought boards). And one had the edge snap in two places. So Im worry about the sidewall coming away from the core and do what I think is strongest.
heybulldog

Post by heybulldog »

Here is how I do it. Get a board of the same material that you are using for the core and plane it down to 10 mm. Take an unriped sidewall piece and epoxy it to the board using your press without molds to provide a uniform pressure across the lenght of the sidewall. Once cured, plane the uhmp side to a uniform thickness and flip it over and plane the wood side to 5mm. Rip the 4 pieces out and use wood glue to attach to the radius sides of the core.
If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

All you have to do is cut your core to the desired shape without sidewalls, then glue the sidewalls on (gorilla glue bonds well to wood and most plastics) and then profile the whole core w/ sidewalls attached. i've profiled using both a router bridge and planer and had no problems with the sidewalls.
skishaggys.com