Welding edge Material Together

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Wannabebuilder

Welding edge Material Together

Post by Wannabebuilder »

So, I just tacked my edges together at the tip and tails where they meet, with a mig welder on low amperage on top of my wood base mold. I figure it doesn't matter as I already annealed them to bend them. Anyone do this in order to not have that gap? Any probs i just set myself up for as I will be cutting base material and gluing and pressing tomorrow
thanks
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Well, I would have verified that they fit the actual base material first.

But otherwise interesting idea.
Wannabebuilder

Post by Wannabebuilder »

yeah I am using a cad cutter to cut the base material the same machine I used to draw out my shape on wood and plastic so it should be for all intents and purposes exact.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you would think so, ;)

I'd love to somehow come up with a die that just presses shaped edge material right into uncut base, and tacks it up same time.
Doug
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

welding the edges is quite difcult stuff

you must use a special machine, electric welder other wise you will have a problem with meltinf the p-tex
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Apparently you did not understand. I welded the edges on a wood template not attached to the base. I then transferred my welded edge setup to my base cold. Worked great. I used a low voltage mig welder. I have be welding for years, its pretty easy to do a couple quick tacks.
Oh and knights, it was not exact but I just cut the tail one and met it together standard style.