Print your Graphics at home with an Inkjet Printer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Samuel

Print your Graphics at home with an Inkjet Printer

Post by Samuel »

Hello,

I've tested a way to print my graphic, I just used an HP Printer (old model Deskjet840C) and printed on an fiberglass layer.

I had to take an "useless" fibeglass layer so that it would'nt affect the property of my ski. I bought this fiberglass in Switzerland under swiss-composite.ch.
It's a small braid fiberglass so that the detail are pretty good. It weight 160g/m2. Order number: 190.0508 Glas-Hohlfasergewebe 160gm2 Atlas 92cm Silan (by Swiss-Composite)

With this composite you can print on with normal ink and it's opaque so that you don't see anything what's under.

I just cuted a 20cm wide piece per 200cm length.

I have some pictures (bad quality) of my ski (good quality) if anyone want but a can't post them on the forum. You can print with a really little front (like 2-3mm height) and it's readable.

if you have some question ask me

Bye
sorry for the language, I speak French
Samuel
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

so you just use the fiberglass layer as a topsheet? or do you still put a transparent topsheet on your ski?

i think the ink will fade pretty fast under the influence of the sun, so you should try printing the fiberglass with a laser printer.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

I don't know if it will last long but this layer is under the topsheet which doesn't allow the UV to go trough. So I don't think that it will be affected by sun.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

sounds like this could work...are you using some kind of special topsheet? (sry if this is a stupid question, but i don't really have a clue when it comes to this kinda stuff).
and how does it affect the weight of your ski?
jlutz05

Post by jlutz05 »

cool, lets see those pictures!
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Hello, I don't think I use a special Topsheet. UV-yellowing 48h (yellowing index ASTM E313) give under 1 I don't know if it's good but other plastic have a value of 13-14. The topsheet is this one from Isosport in Austria: ICP 2273 000 and 0.5mm

For the weight I think it's about 120gramme more for one pair of ski with 100mm under foot and 180cm. But this layer is already half usefull you could think of taking less fiberglass under this layer. (fiberglass= 160g/m2)

Here for a picture (I made 4 pictures and put them together)
It's on a ski with 133mm underfoot and 145mm tip and tail and 181cm long.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I remember when I use to make R\C gliders I sometimes used some 25g/m2 (sorry I'm too lazy to convert to Oz but it's super light stuff), I think that would be perfect to used it ! It won't add that much weight.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

looking great. i think we'll definitely try this!
where did you get the topsheets from? directly from isosport? i'm still looking for material sources.

@ben_mtl: is the stuff you use opaque as well?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

It's a regular fibreglass : white when dry and becomes kinda transparent when impregnated, it would be good as a cosmetic layer with a clear topsheet over it.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

As said before the fiberglass I used doesn't get transparent with epoxy ( see the "cloudsee" on the under half of the ski, behind this layer there is wood. I tried with other fiberglass but it became transparent.

I ordered directly from isosport 40meter but they don't like this it would be from 150-180meter the less you could order. It's a clear topsheet.