Topsheet Wrinkle Issue

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Slant

Topsheet Wrinkle Issue

Post by Slant »

So sometimes, but not all the time when I press a pair of skis the topsheet will wrinkle right in the center 6"-8" or so of the ski. It kind of looks like waves with about a 1" wavelength. I don't think the topsheet is expanding with the heat, though I do heat to 170F. The topsheeet seems to be flat and smooth during layup as well. Maybe as my pneumatic press pushes down, it hits the tips first and squeezes toward the middle, creating the wrinkles... anyone else ever have this issue? Or have any ideas? Thank you!
rtaylor

Post by rtaylor »

Good anti wrinkle creams do work, but they take time. If you want a super fast result yer only man is botox - seriously!
Failing that hydrate your skin - drink lots of boring water and use a nice serum under your moisturiser
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

Dude do you clean with water your topsheet before press??? if yes maybe there is the problem, with temp the water evaporate and turn gas, and the pressure dont let the air goes out...

or maybe your cattrack could be stucked in somewhere...
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

your resin could be partially kicking before you get it under pressure.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

hummm could be possible, but if it happen twice in the same spot could be a cat track problem...
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

I am just guessing here but it may be what they call "bridging" where the tip and tail come down hard enough that is "pinches" the ski and won't let it spread out. Try shimming up in the center ontop of the air bag to get a bit more contact in the center before it all presses. Are you moving the top down again the lower formblock. If so maybe you are pressing too hard before you fire off the airbags. Just a guess here since I don't know what your setup looks like.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

We had that same issue, only it was on the tips. You are exactly right, it has to do with where the pressure is applied and being able to press out excess epoxy and or topsheet.

Work on the press until the center hits first!