securing base material to the mold in a heated press?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

securing base material to the mold in a heated press?

Post by chrismp »

sry if this question has already been asked, but i couldn't find an answer via the search function.

how do i prevent the base material from shifting in the aluminum casette in a heated press?
i guess hotglue or double sided tape wouldn't work too well at 100°C.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

thinks shouldn't shift around too much once its under pressure, its just when you're first inflating your hose that things can move. Hot glue should keep it in place until you've got it fully under pressure, then you can ramp up the heat.
nate

Post by nate »

twizzstyle wrote:Hot glue should keep it in place until you've got it fully under pressure, then you can ramp up the heat.
and then the hot glue will re-melt and cover the entire base in a thin sticky layer. [/speculation]
vinman

Post by vinman »

Hot glue does not bond well to uhmwpe. Likely scraped off easily or taken off during a base grind
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I used spray adhesive with big success on my 2 last skis (base didn't moved... which was not the case of the core for the first pair...)
I press @ 150F and had no problem removing the cured skis from the mold, just have to clean the mold and re-wax it before the next set though...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

of course double side tape due, but the one is like a net...is a bit expenssive but 2 small pieces can hold very well the board and with temp doesent stick or melt... by the way 100C carfull if you are using extruded material...i think 85º is more than good...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

thanks guys!
@hugo: the 100°C was just a figure...thats what we can go max. will be pressing between 70-80°C.
doesn't the tape leave imprints on the base?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I would think the tape would leave a slight imprint in the base?

For the hot glue, you don't need to put it between the base and the mold... just lay the base/edges in the mold, then put a few beads of hot glue on the side of the edge to hold it to the mold. At 170 deg F (what we press at) I don't think it will melt, and even if it does it won't be able to find its way under the base because its all under pressure. Hope that makes sense.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Most tape will leave an imprint, even with a vacuum press.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

thank you twizzstyle! will try the hotglue.

edit: just a thought, wouldnt it be good to put glue all around the edges? it could prevent epoxy from getting on the base.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

use spray adhesive. Epoxy will seep out between the edge and base. Epoxy on the base is not a problem! Don't use tape like the skibuilders tutorial says its a nightmare and a waste of time to take off. You have to grind your skis to ride them no matter what. Its just the way it goes.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

We use contact paper on the base. Peels right off with ease unlike packing tape, doesn't leave any residue on the base, keeps any epoxy from getting on the base, wide enough you can put it on in one piece etc.
telehead

Post by telehead »

I have always used superglue, a drop on the edge in 4 or 5 places along both sides of the ski works great. The glue eats through the mold release agent just fine, careful not to get to much (if any) on the base material it can cause "pitting" if you will............KT
MBsnow

Post by MBsnow »

3M Super 77
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X