Staining the core

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jekul

Staining the core

Post by Jekul »

Has anyone stained the core prior to doing layup?

I'd like to do a layup with a semi-transparent base and a clear topsheet, and I'd really like to have the core show through all of the layers. My primary concern is that the stain will fill in the wood pores, leaving less area for the epxoy to bond. Or would the epoxy wet-out the core enought to substitute as a stain?

The alternative would be to use a veneer topsheet, which would look great, but wouldn't show off the craftsmanship (or lack thereof) used to make the core.
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

i have stained the core and fiberglassed over it a couple times with good results showing off the vertically laminated poplar inside.

we used a water based and very colorful stain, which also acted at a water pop on the core, which raises the grain and allows alot more for the epoxy to grab onto.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Ive stained one core, we had no delam issues. However the stain does bleed, atleast ours did so i dont belive you can stain portions of the core (we did a strip down the center and it bleed out)

Jacob
jono

Post by jono »

I'm about to do a stained core with clear top sheet too.

I've found that to stain straight lines or stripes it helps to work in layers. First use masking tape and stain/paint your stripes. Then take off the tape and sand out any bleeding. Then use another color to paint over everything. This last layer can also be done with the masking tape/sanding out the bleeding technique also. The last layer will affect the color of your original stripes but if you plan ahead you can get interesting results. Water color paints work pretty well for this but you have to use many layers to get good colors.

Post pics of your see through skis when you finish them.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to use a water-based stain once I get my cores profiled. I'm planning to start work on the next pair this weekend. I'll post the pictures when I'm done.
Greg

Post by Greg »

My first pair, the Bremallows (they are in the ski gallery) had a stained core, and it worked just fine. The skis failed because of other reasons, and the stained area actually bonded better than the rest of the ski.
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.