graphics

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skimakermark

graphics

Post by skimakermark »

Hi. I've read a few posts and am trying to get my head around putting graphics on skis. I want to put maps or text or pictures on skis, but dont want the material I'm printing on to go see through when the resin wets out.
1. What should I print on? seems to be either the topsheet itslef, cotton fabric (how thick/heavy? lighter is better...) or rice paper. What goes the least see through. I have carbon in the skis so it'll look ugly if still clear.
2. What inks are best: what won't de lam? does it matter? can i just use whats in my printer now?
3. i want to print pretty intricate stuff so screen printing won't work. essentially i just want to be able to print something from my computer on to *something* and include it in the layup, just under the topsheet. is that all there is to it?
I've searched to forum and theres lots of info but im still a little confused.
Thanks everyone!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Have your graphic sublimated on a plastic topsheet. $40. Done.
falls

Post by falls »

Hi Mark
If you PM Chris (carnold) he has had topsheets sublimated in Melbourne somewhere. He should be able to dig up the name of the place for you. I think he said it cost about $70 for a snowboard. Obviously a bit of money, but will give you a pro looking result especially if you are doing intricate work.

Otherwise. Rice paper will go seethrough in the layup or just about. White cotton will also go see through to a fair degree. Laser printer inks are best for printing yourself. One other thing people have done that seems pretty successful is used iron on transfers. You can buy the A4 sheets at Officeworks for printing onto tshirts. These can be ironed onto white cotton.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

falls wrote:Hi Mark
If you PM Chris (carnold) he has had topsheets sublimated in Melbourne somewhere. He should be able to dig up the name of the place for you. I think he said it cost about $70 for a snowboard. Obviously a bit of money, but will give you a pro looking result especially if you are doing intricate work.

Otherwise. Rice paper will go seethrough in the layup or just about. White cotton will also go see through to a fair degree. Laser printer inks are best for printing yourself. One other thing people have done that seems pretty successful is used iron on transfers. You can buy the A4 sheets at Officeworks for printing onto tshirts. These can be ironed onto white cotton.
Yes, you can print from your ink jet printer on to transfer paper and then iron it onto fabric. My wife has done this for quilting that she does. Never thought about doing it for top sheets. Great idea Falls!
Greg

Post by Greg »

We did a snowboard without a topsheet. Instead, we had a graphic printed out on a photo quality laser printer. The graphic covered the entire top of the snowboard, and we simply soaked it in epoxy when we laid up the board. A couple coats of glossy varnish after the board was out of the press, and we had a life-size lingerie model printed on a snowboard. Not so good for the children, but a real laugh, just in how good it turned out.
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Greg wrote:We did a snowboard without a topsheet. Instead, we had a graphic printed out on a photo quality laser printer. The graphic covered the entire top of the snowboard, and we simply soaked it in epoxy when we laid up the board. A couple coats of glossy varnish after the board was out of the press, and we had a life-size lingerie model printed on a snowboard. Not so good for the children, but a real laugh, just in how good it turned out.
haha, i have vintage playmates on both of my self made boards. i took one on a highschool ski trip i was coaching at...kids loved it, teachers not so much. 8)
originskis

Post by originskis »

@Montucky. Would you elaborate on that $40 sublimation? that would be great if I could get it.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sbm says they will do it but the cost is up a bit.
http://snowboardmaterials.com/pages/base.htm
Coda snowboards will do it as well- I have the contact somewhere.
EDIT:
http://www.codaboards.com/graphics_DIY.php

The 333 guy offers it through coda.

I have seen it all over this site with links all over. Places in Seattle and socal and maybe closer I bet a place in SLC would do it.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

I'm sure these gusy have the ability

http://www.rideharder.com/revolution/

I'm speculating here, but maybe they would do it for you for a fee?
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

I might have a guy. The sublams he does for me are pretty awesome quality. I don't want anyone to think I'm here to advertise, so PM me and I'll give you the contact info.
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Sharing suppliers is fine mate, post away!
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

mk, Ryan Monson at Humanity/Monson boards does work for me. I've been happy with his work and he has been easy to deal with.

Not sure if he is well known among the community here or not, but he is pretty flexible and he always gives me good prices. I know that he has considered being a material supplier too.

Hope this helps!
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

He blew me off for months. Kept saying he would do them, then never did. I finally got tired of feeling like I was pestering someone so I went with SBM.