mount bindings without inserts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

windsurfer

mount bindings without inserts

Post by windsurfer »

do i need epoxy to mount the bindings on my ski?
i have a ash wood core and I dont have any inserts!

Do I have to pay attention to something els when mounting the bindings?

thanks.
karsten
o0norton0o

Post by o0norton0o »

ash will hold a standard ski screw no problem. you should carefully mark your bindings with your boots attached to them to get your boot placement over the center of the ski side to side and length wise over your contact length. Then outline the binding position on tape or better yet is to position the binding over double stick tape to locate the binding position. Remove the boot and counter drill the bindings holes with a "hinge type" centering bit with the binding in place. remove the binding and the double stick tape and the binding should screw exactly into place with no variance into the predrilled holes. Obviously you have to drill the holes small enough to have the screws thread in tightly. you can put some silicone on the holes to help seal out the moisture and you will be fine. Be carefull not to drill through the ski when you counter drill them. a drill press is best to control depth
est sularis oth mithas
iskibkwrds

Post by iskibkwrds »

You can get bits through KUUsport and Wintersteiger that have a shoulder on them. Using these prevents worries of drilling through the ski and makes a nice countersink. They are 3.5 and 4.1 mm in diameter and 7-9.5 mm in length. Length is determined by core thickness and diameter is determined using ski construction. A ski with a metal layer in the top usually needs a 4.1 and needs to be tapped as well. Regular white glue in the holes before you screw them in is all you need to seal it up.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

drill bits are also available from tognar.com.
It really is a good idea to use a ski specific drill bit since the hole diameter is non standard as far as I know.

The inserts I think will really help if you have lots of skis and need to be switching bindings. I am starting without inserts but will probably add them in later.
- Ben