Prototyping aka ghetto layups

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Huck Pitueee wrote:I'm low buget. Capped rails give more protection and a nice look. Hoping to lay up a late season board this week. My protos have no ptex or edges. They work great till you hammer a rock. Easy to fix though.
Really? No base? How is the glide? Does it hold wax well? I'm interested in going as light as possible for a powder splitboard. I'm thinking, no top sheet or inside edge, and as few inserts as possible.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

that's two radii? in the photos it looks more like two straight lines meeting up in a small radius.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

WhitePine wrote:
Huck Pitueee wrote:I'm low buget. Capped rails give more protection and a nice look. Hoping to lay up a late season board this week. My protos have no ptex or edges. They work great till you hammer a rock. Easy to fix though.
Really? No base? How is the glide? Does it hold wax well? I'm interested in going as light as possible for a powder splitboard. I'm thinking, no top sheet or inside edge, and as few inserts as possible.
Last seasons test board slid as well as the guys I rode with. I wet sanded the base to a polish. This year I'm trying 120 grit then a quick hit with 240. Wax holding? Not so much but I was out gliding a partner.
You may want to check out carbon and a light core if you want light. I have a mojo rx and cant beat it's weight even with no base & edges.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

that's two radii? in the photos it looks more like two straight lines meeting up in a small radius.
Hey Chris, you are right. It is a large Radius with some straight lines that connect to a small radius at the center. This gave me the edge hold I was looking for without thinning out the center width too much.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

have you looked at salomon's equalizer sidecut? pretty similar concept.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Just checked it out and it is a very similar idea. I have a radi at the tip/tail with straight lines near the bindings that connects to a small radi at the center. It looks like Solomon has 4 straight lines. It's all centered around the idea of double side cut radius that has been around for a while.