How many layers of material should I use?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

thedodge67

How many layers of material should I use?

Post by thedodge67 »

I want to build a pair of skis for my senior project, and I know that my top composite layer/graphic layer is going to be carbon fiber. That will probably be the only layer of carbon fiber because of the cost (I just like the look). But I don't know if I should have multiple layers of fiberglass underneath that, or if the one layer of carbon fiber will suffice.
vinman

Post by vinman »

It probably depends on what type of carbon and what weight cabron you are using. If it is only unidirectional, you won't get much torsional stiffness and you might have to add some sort of composite on a 45 or 60 deg angle to improve the torsional stiffness. The 0/90 bias stff might be a little better but again not much in the way of torsional support.

But I've never done a full carbon only layup...
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
olie25

Post by olie25 »

if your hoping that these ski preform like they could, do a alot more reading and browsing of this forum, i have always been a little more of a reader than a contributor. putting in a hundred hours of reading before you dive into questions is honestly what you need to do. ski/snowboard building is not rocket science but there is a lot to it and everything you need to do to make your first pair is out there, the more you look the more you find! check stuff from iggyskier, montuckymadman, doughboy, brazen, vinman, falls, headmonkey, twizzstyle there are a lot more that deserve credit but theres a short list of dudes that make this site as forum as valuable as it is