LED's below the topsheet?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ProbsMagobs

LED's below the topsheet?

Post by ProbsMagobs »

ive had a lot of ideas lately because ive been trying to get into making my own snowboard. unfortunately it fell through do to some stuff that recently came up. but that cant keep me from sharing ideas! what if you had a clear topsheet and underneath you put some small LEDs like these http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?ta ... ory_id=189
they have a low and high enough operating temps to be able to be pressed with heat and used in freezing cold. an example of a battery that could be used(possibly put the battery pack in or around boots/bindings) is energizer ultimate lithium batteries which have similar operating temperatures. they would be wired however you want and probably wouldnt cause any type of delam. the only problem is wiring through the top sheet to get over it. you just have to make sure at least some of the wire does not get epoxied to the board/ski. id love to hear some feedback
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

It could be done. With a little planning you would never see the battery holder, wires, or anything. You could sublimation some top sheet with some skulls and use LED's for the eye's.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Check out the "Every Third Thursday" videos by Signal Snowboards. In one of the boards the have something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SignalSnowboard
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

FigmentOriginal wrote:Check out the "Every Third Thursday" videos by Signal Snowboards. In one of the boards the have something similar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SignalSnowboard
I like the I-Pad in the board!
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

that iboard is awesome! i did some more research and found that those led's are the same as the ones in an xbox controller for the player lights so theyre relatively bright but you might need ALOT. even just around the edges for a 156cm snowboard, to completely go all the way around the edge without space would be around 1000 of those led's and cost around $160.still, id love to see someone use this to any extent in a board or ski

edit-
found them on ebay for about $60 for 1000, so not as bad as i thought
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

We did some tests a few years ago for a board we never did.

Pressed a core sample w/fiberglass, normal exoxy, topsheet and base with the cathod and anode of some simple one color led's exposed.

All the led's survived the 80psi press with twin bladders and near 200* of heat.

And they all lit very well though all the laminates.

We still might make the board some day. Was basicly a board with a 1024 led matrix that we could control with a bunch of shift registers and with whatever rapid prototype platform we prefered at the time

-Jacob