Snowboard Binding Inserts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TeflonKen

Snowboard Binding Inserts

Post by TeflonKen »

I did a search of the forum but couldn’t find any people who have similar problem.

I am about to make my 2nd snowboard and was thinking of using veneer instead of the clear top that I used for my first board. However, I have non-magnetized inserts. Are there any good ways to find the inserts and drill them out? Also are there any sources for buying magnetized inserts in small quantities?

Thanks for all the help. This forum has been extremely valuable

Ken
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Buy magnetized inserts at SkiLab.com or Blankslateskis.com

You can use a magnet to find the non-magnetized ones.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

I've done this several times with a moderate amount of success. Print out a paper template of your design (full size) and after you've cut everything out lay the paper template over your board and drill away. Make sure to start with a very small drill bit to minimize your chances of not hitting the holes (has NOT happened to me).

Good luck! This will test how well you lay everything up.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

how bout magnatized powder or filings to find teh steel inserts even if the inserts are not magnetized?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

A company called camax sells magnetic inserts or a magnetic sticker that goes ontop of the cap so you can use the metal filings(they also sell) to find the inserts. I just ordered 2000 magnetic caps. there like 3.5 cents each. cant go wrong. nothing worse then miss drilling. the will only do that once ;)
falls

Post by falls »

https://www.amazingmagnets.com/show-dec ... 56-dm.aspx
Someone else posted about using rare earth ring magnets to guide your drilling recently.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

So, here's what I do: Inserts .010 taller than the topsheet material, press board THEN take a crayon broadwise and rub it over where the inserts should be. Walla! Inserts show up every time. This works especially well if you're using application tape (white) over your topsheet.

There was also a period of time that I stuck BB's in the inserts and resealed them, then located with small neodymium magnets. PITA and not necessary.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Greg

Post by Greg »

I use a compass... like the one used for reading maps. Magnetic caps help, but I would imagine that you could get enough interference as long as the inserts are not stainless steel.
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
nearls

Post by nearls »

Can't remember where I saw it on the forum here, but the technique works pretty good for me. Use a razor to gingerly and slightly open the plastic cap that keeps the resin out and drop in a air rifle bb. A rare earth magnet seems to locate them pretty easily.