Tetenal

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chsboardbuilders

Tetenal

Post by chsboardbuilders »

Hey ya'll,
Me and a bud want to put tetenal in our skis, but have no idea where to get it. Any suggestions as to where we could get some? Were located in Washington in the Columbia River Gorge so the closer the better, but it's not too important.
Thanks!
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Titanal is a thin layer of aluminim. Search around a little bit for some of the other posts on this material, but I seem to recall there is a significant amount of surface preparation you'll have to do to get it to bond well in skis/boards. I'll let one of the smart guys on here speak more to the issue.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

these people make it but you cant have any
http://www.amag.at/AMAG-Titanal-R.1193.0.html?&L=0
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Get in touch with Doneksnow on the forum.

PS where yall from?
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

1min of googling, and looks like its anodized alu sheet metal.

Amg lists tinsel strengths, if you spent some time cross referencing i bet you oculd come up with something close.

As far as bonding issues, call a plating house and tell them you need to prep alu sheet metal for expoxy bonding, a decent shop will be able to recomend you something off the top of there head

-Jacob
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I have spent allot of time on this.
It is not anodized. Anodization is not what you want for bonding.
you are looking for a 7000 series AL in very thin, like .3mm.
You want a bare material and you have to prep with an etch.
The titanal material has a proprietary coating for bonding that is not anodized, something else, similar to what is on the steel edges I bet.
A painted type primed surface is most likely what is needed or a chemical etch but what a pita.
Look at the aviation forums for some of these details and products to use to prep.
You can not find this material in the right thickness unless you buy a full 5 x 10 foot sheet.
They have 4 x 4 sheets but too small for skis.
donek wont sell you any AMAG is discontinuing this material in several thicknesses.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've been thinking about AL in skis and what it takes to get it to bond to the other materials. I did a sample layup last year by abrading the surface and using VDS to help bond. Seemed to work.

Many years ago I learned that acidic foods will discolor AL pans, especially tomatoes sauce. It can actually be dangerous to your health if left in the pan too long. It also seemed to make the surface less smooth.

I came across a you tube video on etching AL using vinegar. The video was for a different purpose, etching and printing but wonder if you soaked AL/titanal in a vinegar bath if the AL would etch enough to increase the bonding strength.

Any thoughts? Might pick up some cheap rolled AL sheet metal and give it a try.

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Cheap. Al in a ski would be fail. U want a. Stong temper otherwise it will bend and. Deforrm. And delam
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Is the AL really for strength/stiffness? We know there are much easier and cheaper ways to strengthen or stiffen skis.

For some reason I always thought the AL would lead to a more damp ski.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I wouldn't put the cheap AL in a ski, just use it as a base test for etching. If it showed any promise try a higher quality AL. Yes AL or metal is typically to dampen a ski.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

It adds weight, so. Dapens. Its also. Helps to reduce soeibration but rreallyyitsfotosion
chsboardbuilders

Spelling it right probably would've helped our search. hah
So we now know what titanal is and are a little unsure using anything other than what is proven to rock. We've found people using it currently, but still don't know if there is anywhere to get it in the United States. Have any of you found any other success than AMAG? They don't seem to actually sell it anymore.
chsboardbuilders

So we now know what titanal is and are a little unsure using anything other than what is proven to rock. We've found people using it currently, but still don't know if there is anywhere to get it in the United States. Have any of you found any other success than AMAG? They don't seem to actually sell it anymore.
chsboardbuilders

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

they are the only makers of it and no I told you, you cant have any.
im done here.