die cut base question?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

olie25

die cut base question?

Post by olie25 »

im trying some cnc drag blade cut base in my next layup, some of my clear base dosnt sit as flat as it should. Ill need to attach it in layup. whats the best product... a little packing tape ???
vinman

Post by vinman »

Packing tape would be messy and not come off the base very well. I protect my bases with clear contact paper. It handles the heat well and peels off easily after pressing.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I always used packing tape...if you pull it when it's still warm from the press it comes right off easily.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm about to do the same thing. I've got a LOT of shapes cut out, and it's fitting so-so.

I've got the bottom side covered in vinyl application tape, and on the top I've got a lot of small pieces of medipore, and one solid 3" wide strip of medipore running the length of each ski (I haven't cut out the whole base yet, just assembled the two colors).

I'm not sure how I feel about leaving the long strip of medipore for the layup - but I think I might, just for extra insurance that things don't shift in the press. If one piece shifted and overlapped another, the ski would be trash.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

you guys are so fancy! :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
rnordell

Post by rnordell »

Twizz,
I've found the Airtech Tac-Strip to work well holding parts in place during layup. It's designed for using in place of spray tac adhesive when holding dry fabric in place for resin infusion. I have been using it to make sure that the metal tip and tail cap pieces that butt up to the base that I put on the ends of the skis do not shift during the layup.
Here is the info on the Tac-Strip product
http://catalogue.airtech.lu/product.php ... =270&lang=
vinman

Post by vinman »

Does that tac strip go right in the layup? If so that would be a great product for attaching tip and tail spacers and maybe tacking VDS to the base to make sure it doesn't get spit out while pressing.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Looks exactly like drywall tape, just two sided adhesive...

I've been using drywall tape for holding tip and tail spacers for the last 1.5 years. I usually add hot-melt glue since the drywall tape adhesive is pretty weak.
rnordell

Post by rnordell »

I don't use it for tacking vds foil (i wet out both sides of the vds with epoxy before i put it over the base and edge) but I do use it to hold the tip/tail spacer in place on the core
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Packing tape for me. I use the 3m stuff, the heavy duty stuff (I think it says "Packing and Moving "on it). As long as you remember to remove it before it cools everything's fine.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Packing tape for me. I use the 3m stuff, the heavy duty stuff (I think it says "Packing and Moving "on it). As long as you remember to remove it before it cools everything's fine.
BRAND2102

Re: die cut base question?

Post by BRAND2102 »

If there are cracks and holes in the die cut how do you fix that or does it just get filled with the epoxy during layup.
gav wa

Re: die cut base question?

Post by gav wa »

I pre press all my ptex. So laid flat in the press, press it flat and sit at about 70 degress for about 30 minutes, then let it cool right offf before pulling from the press.
After diecut the pieces all stay perfectly flat, so much easier to work with.