Wooden base

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backyardskier

Wooden base

Post by backyardskier »

Never seen this before.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I have big doubts.
You would have to do some serious proving.
Just doesnt make sense.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
JukeSnowboarding

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The novelty and nostalgia are certainly there. It's something I want to try at some point, just to say I did.

Didn't Steve try wood bases once?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I tried that. It wasn't that successful at first. The base refused to hold wax for more than 2 short runs. I even tried using pine tar like they used in pre-ptex days. It didn't help much and smelled awful.

For grins this season, I pulled the skis out of the corner of the basement and epoxied the base, sanded the base down baby-butt smooth and rubbed on wax and tuned the edges. I was only able to get a few runs on them but the epoxy on the base helped a lot. They slid much better and held wax better. It was a fun experiment. But they are retired now.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

A cool way to do this could be a clear base, then a layer of veneer on top of that. Then glass, core, glass and a veneer top.. :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Like 'Grown' skis does it.
leifkj

Post by leifkj »

Did you try thinning the epoxy you put on the base? I know that there are products that you can use to solidify rotten wood that are epoxy thinned down with acetone so the wood soaks it up. I think thats how they made the hard "lignostone" edges on nordic skis.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

hegan

Post by hegan »

Just posting this in here because I dont see a need to make a new thread about this.

I saw this thread and the one skidesmond had about wooden skis and gave it a go. Worked out really well using poplar veneer as a base. Not the best choice for wood for a base but it was cheap and I wasnt sure if this was going to work or not.

link just in case the embed doesnt work

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/113171836" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href=" smart</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1686437">Smrt</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Cool! I'm surprised at how well and fast they ski. Mine didn't hold much wax on a raw wood base. After I skimmed coated epoxy over the base it was better, but still not great. Nice work!