Best way to keep your skis from sticking to your mold?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I've seen in the instruction pages of this site they say to slice the protective coating you put on the base of your skis. Slicing it along the join of the steel edge to base material.
Does anybody here do it that way?
I'm using contact paper over my base at the moment but not cutting this slit.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Yes I cut it inside the edge. You can see where it lets some resin out instead of keeping it under the contact material.
I use good quality baking paper as mould release, however I had dramas with ripples in the base until I started to glue the base to the paper.
I do this by wiping a very small amount of resin on the contact covered base and sticking the baking paper to the base rubbing out as many bubbles as I can.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Thanks for the pointers mate. I bought and big roll of glad bake after your recommendation too. The big roll is nice and wide too so easy to work with.
I will try out your idea of sticking it to the base too.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I don't put any kind of protective material on my base anymore, just parchment paper in the mold. I've never had a problem with wrinkling (I did on my topsheets, I've since stopped putting it on top and problem went away).

Any epoxy that gets on my bases grinds off easily.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I think that is something you can consider once you start moving into the refinement stage of building twiz. For the new guys I would stress that they should cover the base.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

we just have a layer of wrapping film between the base and the mold. Never had any problems with it. Just make sure you "stretch" it over the mold, otherwise some small wrinkles might get into voids like in between the base and the edge.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

pmg wrote:we just have a layer of wrapping film between the base and the mold.
Do you have a heated press? I think the wrapping film might melt at temps above 70-80°C.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

yes we heat it up to 60°C.

Will ask my friend if he bought some special wrapping film, but don't think so.
On the other hand: If you use it in the microwave and leave it a bit longer than needed the condensed water directly on the wrapping paper also gets quite hot. Easy temperature test would be to pour boiling water over it.

Regards