Best way to keep your skis from sticking to your mold?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

Best way to keep your skis from sticking to your mold?

Post by hegan »

I have been using HDPE plastic, but what are some other materials that doesn't allow the epoxy to bond?? Would wax on aluminum flashing work?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Paste floor wax aplied and allowed to dry works pretty well. Nice product called part all is used allot. There are many industrial release agents out there. Spray on and paste types. Look at mold making supplies and foundry options.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I use part-all from Fiberlay, and parchment paper on top of that.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Release wax works great. Been using it for about 4 years now. You can get it online at tap plastics or at your local store if you have one. Slop it on their pretty heavy and you shouldn't have any problems getting it out.
camhard

Post by camhard »

I've used part-all no. 2 up until the latest pair, when I tried a liquid mold release, which has the viscosity of water. Part-all was fine, but it took a while to rub it on and sometimes left bumpy bits of wax around. The liquid stuff is incredible, as it goes on completely smooth. It also releases even better than the part-all. I think the liquid stuff is a polyvinyl alcohol (pva) product, but I'll have to check. Apparently it's supposed to be used in conjunction with a wax, but I'm pretty sure we put it on virgin aluminum on the latest pair, for the top (bottom piece had been used previously with wax).
hegan

Post by hegan »

I ended up using the backing of some laminate it is non stick even with epoxy, the ski popped right out of the mold.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

clean and sand the mold well... then buff with some mothers car wax. Some of the paste "mold release" brands are actually made by mothers, and I've not noticed a difference between the two. Though i know the synthetic car wax doesnt work quite as well. Caranuba cleaner wax works pretty good :).

Lay down a good amount... buff until there are no more lumps or chunks anywhere. You still have to "crack" it off the mold a pinch, but it will snap off clean :)
Doug
petemorgan(pmoskico)

Post by petemorgan(pmoskico) »

echoing others, but might as well put in my vote: parchment paper is super cheap and easy.

my layering goes:

mold, then a 1/8 inch thick ply wood, then a sheet of aluminum (with some partall wax on it) then parchment paper and then ski bases taped with low quality packaging tape (get low quality from Harbor freight because its easier to remove after)
hamerhead

Post by hamerhead »

We have been using a furniture wax on MDF and only with our first light coloured bases have i found out how deep the wax has been penetrating into the base with heat and pressure. I estimate that it was 0.1 m into the base.
Should be using a soft ski wax.
neatturns

Post by neatturns »

I have been putting tape on the bases to keep off the epoxy during pressing. However I am getting tired of peeling it off when done. Does anyone put mold release wax on the bases? (Local shop doesn't like to grind off the epoxy)
Thanks
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I haven't used wax on the bases but it would probably be ok as long as it is put on carefully so as not to get any where it shouldn't be. In the past I have used Con-Tact paper on the bases to keep epoxy off. It peels off much easier than regular tape and is also easy to apply. I am fortunate enough to have access to a shop where I am doing the work myself so I don't worry about it too much and just grind away the epoxy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

neatturns wrote:I have been putting tape on the bases to keep off the epoxy during pressing. However I am getting tired of peeling it off when done. Does anyone put mold release wax on the bases? (Local shop doesn't like to grind off the epoxy)
Thanks
Yes I've put wax on the base (any paste wax with carnauba). Works well, epoxy comes off easily. Be careful not to get it on anything but the base. I leave a spot in the middle bare where I use spray adhesive to attached to the cassette.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Glad brand (for you aussies) baking paper works best for me.
Better than wax, fold up the edges so the epoxy doesnt drip onto the cassette.
I just used a cheaper brand of baking paper and it stuck to everything.
hamerhead

Post by hamerhead »

Anyone tried ski wax on their bases first?