covering veneer during pressing.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Post by vinman »

Never had any issue putting a full skim coat on during pressing. To me it is more likely that you'll get an uneven finish by not putting the skim coat on.

Plus you'll impregnate the top and the bottom of the veneer that way which should improve durability.

The thing people struggle with is wrinkles from the parchment. But if you spray glue your parchment to your top aluminum layer it minimizes wrinkles or eliminates them totally if you are careful.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

What do you do where you drill the inserts and finish the sidewalls?
Its these raw edges that I am referring to.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

gozaimaas wrote:What do you do where you drill the inserts and finish the sidewalls?
Its these raw edges that I am referring to.
For me, those raw edges get protected by the final coats of poly. Like vinman I skim-coat my veneer during layup, then sand and coat with poly afterwards. I usually bevel my edges first, do 3-4 coats of poly, cut out my inserts, then 3-4 more coats of poly.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
vinman

Post by vinman »

I make skis....

I also use UHMWPE sidewall... I profile first then mask the sidewall with tape, then finish with poly. I'm actually using clear epoxy on top right now, entropy CLR.

If I were making boards I'd do it like headmonkey. Poly first then drill out inserts.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Yeah i do poly first then drill inserts. I thought you guys were saying that by using epoxy on top that you didnt use poly at all which would be convenient if not for the raw edges needing to be coated.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I didn't use any poly on this batch. Light sanding of the skim coat then clear epoxy over than. Not sure what you are calling raw edges?

When I masked the sidewalls out I end up coating the edge of the exposed glass and veneer with epoxy. After the epoxy is cured I remove the masking tape and sand the edge with my dremel drum sander to clean up and left over epoxy.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

What I am calling raw edges is the un coated veneer edge you get when A. Finishing the sidewall (see pic) and B. Drilling the insert holes.

vinman

Post by vinman »

Like I said mask your sidewalls but leave the edge of the veneer exposed so it gets covered. Lightly sand to clean it up but do t expose the veneer. Even if you do sand through it is probably not too much of an issue. If you see that it is soaking up water just apply some more poly as needed to seal it.