Need some help with post press

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

Need some help with post press

Post by hegan »

I removed my heat sheet only to see one ski much higher than the other, and my heart sunk. I removed everything flipped them over and found this.
The core somehow popped on top on the wooden peg it wasnt like that when it started to press. Is there anyway to fix this or did I just spend 3 months wasting my time?
hegan

Post by hegan »

Forgot to post these pictures.

Right now I'm thinking slice off the lifted area and patching it with some scrape base and epoxying it back to the base. Good idea to do that or is there another way?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Not sure what happened here. Heat sheet? Is the orange material base? Why is it on the edges?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Not sure what happened here. Heat sheet? Is the orange material base? Why is it on the edges?
hegan

Post by hegan »

Sorry about the heat sheet term, it is just a heated blanket attached to a camping pad it holds heat really well.

Anyway back to the skis. The base is clear the orange stuff is vinyl I used to keep the bases clean. I did a rush job removing it just to see what happened, and I cant really tell what made it happen. There isnt a core shift side to side it just lifted up.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Weird one, maybe epoxy hydraulic-ed your post down.

As far as repairing it, what about a forstner bit, drill out the spot and glue in a base patch. Just drill it level with the inside of the base.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hegan

Post by hegan »

I'm just cut a hole in the base where the epoxy filled in the void cause by the peg. I'm going to sand away the epoxy then put a little fiberglass down in the hole a little epoxy and all I have left is tip spacer so I will be using that instead of the normal base. Unless anyone has some scrap base they don't mind parting with less than 6"x6".
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That first picture makes it look like it's sticking up a LOT. How high is the bump? A few mm, or like an inch?

Are you vacuum bagging? I'm not really sure how something could push out the bottom of your ski in the mold under pressure. Something seems weird.
hegan

Post by hegan »

I'm vacuum bagging and it is sticking up a good 10mm. I already started to cut the base away and it looks like some how the peg was forced down and the core came up, but all around it the base is complete flat.

Thing is to put the pegs in the holes in the core I have to push down pretty hard I always make sure that there is no movement and that something like this doesnt happen.

I have used pegs before and this is a first for sure.

I'm just treating this like a big core shot, just going to sand it down and patch it up.
hegan

Post by hegan »

Dumb question I know, using tip spacer material will work fine to patch the hole right?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Just make sure its sanded and clean and flamed
vinman

Post by vinman »

Dowel pin not sanded down flush with core?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
hegan

Post by hegan »

The pegs were sanded smooth with the core the other ski is just fine. The second peg on the messed up base is fine as well.