Making my skis more stiff

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Danielbroski

Making my skis more stiff

Post by Danielbroski »

So after pressing my first ski, I gave it a flex and realized how soft and noodley it way. It would be alright to ski, but I was looking to make something a bit stiffer. Is there any way to stiffen it up without covering the graphics on the topsheet too much?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

what material did you use as a topsheet?
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

Clear nylon from Miller Studio
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Lose 20kg or build new skis
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

nothing is going to stick for long to that kind of topsheet.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

See if you can peel it off and add more composite?
Rout small channels and put in carbon tow and repress?
Reality is your screwed.
Prolly a good idea until you know what stiffness you desire to press the topsheet on after intial press or gamble if you have money.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah, what these guys said. I'd say it's too late at this point. You're more likely to just destroy the expensive top sheet if you try to remove it. Just enjoy these skis as they are, and make the core a little thicker for the next pair. If this was your first pair, I'm sure there are other things you've told yourself you can do better next time. Here's your chance! Pair #2!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nobody builds just 1 pair... Now you know why :-) Ski them the way they are or sacrifice the topsheet. You could fashion a "plate" of sorts out of FG or CF and attach it to the top of the ski, sort of like Atomic D2 skis.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I think it's mentioned 1 million times on this board for the first time keep it simple.
Start a journal document your build progress with failures and successes so you and others can learn from it later.

On original question. if top don't peels off easily best way probably to use belt sander to take it off completely. In reality most likely skis get destroyed in the process. best way imo just to build another pair and use this one as a control. learn from mistakes and move forward
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison