drawing directly on veneers

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

drawing directly on veneers

Post by the.quass »

Hi everyone. A quick question. I did some searching but nothing much popped up. I have a good friend that is a pretty amazing artist. He is drawing up some stuff for a board for me. I was thinking about scanning it in and getting it printed up. The other option that might be less clinical would be to get him to draw directly onto some bamboo veneer. Anyone had any luck with this? I am worried about bleed. I will get a sample and try it out but thought the brains trust might have some input.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

we have veneers painted on with watercolor and acrylics careful when you go to polyurethane as the stuff wants to run. use a spray on. You can direct print on it as well but you have to have a printer and the right ink or dye or whatever.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Have him wood burn it in
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey guys,
He is more of a pen man as he is getting his skills up to be a tattooist.
I might trial some coats on the timber prior to working and then see what happens. Maybe a varnish or something prior to artwork.

Burning it in would be awesome. I will speak to him about that. See if it's something he would be interested in.
Thanks guys
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I built a board for my wife and she wanted to draw some of her favourite japanese xharacters on it lol. I sealed the board with a coat of polyurethane first to stop the texta bleeding, she drew her stuff on then I sealed over it all.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey guys,
He is more of a pen man as he is getting his skills up to be a tattooist.
I might trial some coats on the timber prior to working and then see what happens. Maybe a varnish or something prior to artwork.

Burning it in would be awesome. I will speak to him about that. See if it's something he would be interested in.
Thanks guys
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I'm with Vinman. get him to use a wood burning pencil. If he wants to tattoo people he should practice with tools that can cause damage:)
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

The wood burning would look awesome.

I have just done some test pieces through an inkjet printer. The guys on here do it quite a bit.
I then thinned some epoxy down a little to help penetration then brushed it onto the veneer. I gave the veneer 3 days to leach out the solvents from the ink and also sat it on a heat mat for an hour at 75 degrees C to warm it up so the epoxy would penetrate deeply. I ended up with a pretty good veneer that is sealed with epoxy and much stronger so it doesn't break so easily while handling it.

Search through the threads on here, you will find heaps on this type of stuff.
dbabicwa

Post by dbabicwa »

Smiley

wood burning

Post by Smiley »

Thought I'd ask this here instead of starting a new thread. Anyone tried making a template, out of wood for example, with words cutout, placing it over the ski and using a torch to burn it onto the wood veneer topsheet?

My only concern is that there might be too much heat and cause delam. Maybe as long as the words/letters are not too big it might work?
Not All Who Wander Are Lost
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Burn it before you do your layup. Should work great. A metal template would be best, but if its just for a one-off wood would probably be fine.
dbabicwa

Post by dbabicwa »

Ammonia chloride should work with a heat gun, but even that can't do a really fine job.

I've come into the conclusion that only a laser can do a really fine and repeatable work. There is one project which I like:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mr ... graver-kit
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Grab a small piece of veneer and draw some basic stuff with a heap of different pens. Leave it for a week to fully vapor out then press it with glass and resin under it and heat the same as your usual process. If some pens dont run use those.
I use an inkjet printer and get good results but I've found most pens run but have never tried to make it work before.
If you cant find any to work grab another test piece and brush resin onto one side. Let that go off then draw some tests on the other side and lay that up resin side down.
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

twizzstyle wrote:Burn it before you do your layup. Should work great. A metal template would be best, but if its just for a one-off wood would probably be fine.
Thanks Twizz. I'm not really concerned about the topsheet moving so that should be the best way to do it. The first pair I made had no graphics, just clear topsheet over carbon with plenty of bubbles :) so I thought I'd use some bamboo veneer I got for free.
Not All Who Wander Are Lost