honeycomb

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pavelbozak

honeycomb

Post by pavelbozak »

Hi!

have someone tried honeycomb for tips and tails? Lot s of ski brands use this for reducing swing weight.

I d like to try it but I am not sure how about bonding that oily material...

I can make some bonding tests but this will not properly simulate skiing and suitable tension by skiing...

any hints? Thanks :)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hey,

looked at it at a webshop today and had similar thoughts. Is this stuff really oily? The honeycomb material sold here is called aramid paper and make for laminating. Have a look at r-g.de

Cheers
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

No, oily is wrong word for that meening. Difficuilt is to use only as much glue as necessary for bonding.... If more, there is no gain from using honeycomb material. It seems like there is only way in prepregs to succesfuly use honeycomb for reducing weight... And it is a bit impossible for me now :( maybe i ll try to reduce swing weight with maximal shortening of tip and tail spacers... There would be more of wood with lower density and plastic would cover only for example last 3 cm (in contrary to present 10-15 cm) ....

going to check the link upwards...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I experimented with some nomex honeycomb a few years ago, but never followed through with any ski builds. We had a thread on here somewhere about it, where somebody included a link to an interesting paper on how to get good bonding results with honeycomb. I think you're right, that prepreg is the best way to do it. It's hard to keep from just filling the honeycomb with resin with a normal wet layup.

For wet layups, foam is probably the easier way to save weight.
Skammy

Post by Skammy »

I made a whole board from overexpanded nomex honeycomb using just plain ol' epoxy and it bonded fine..
I had to epoxy the bottom on by itself and after it was cured epoxy the top on and flip the mold over so the cells wouldn't fill with epoxy.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

An easy way to avoid dimples and control the resin amount for gluing is to prelaminate flat sheets of whatever layup you planed to do and glue them onto the cores in a second step.
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

I didn't want to hijack this thread, but didn't think it was worth posting a new one for my question. I'm going to build a board with Nomex Honeycomb in it like this Image
I will rout out the spots in the core and lay fiberglass tissue over it just to seal it before final layup so epoxy doesn't seep in. I was wondering if this pattern would affect performance in any negative way and if I should use Aramid paper honeycomb or aluminum. Any help would be great!
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

My two cents: I'd try to round the beginning and end of the honeycomb portions so the board doesn't have easy points to break on. try to make them ovals or diamond shaped.

another idea is to use paulownia and channel it like fischer skis do for the Hannibal and race ski with a biscuit joiner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePg4Pqt2uHc