powder board for good female snowboarder

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

satch

Post by satch »

thanks alot gav wa!

I'll be using 750g/m² triax glass. no carbon.
full perimeter pu sidewall -> no tip spacer
I'm still not so sure about a flat under the bindings or full rocker. board will be used on the slopes as well to reach the deep stuff. so i might use the flat bottom.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

750 gram triax should be fine.
You're gonna start a debate now about rocker vs flat vs camber vs hybrid. They all have their benefits, as has been already mentioned rocker floats the best and is probably the easiest ride in powder, camber has more power in a turn and more control on firmer snow. Hybrids have varying combinations of these points.
At the very least you need longer rocker in the front, maybe start the rocker about 60mm infront of the front pair of bindings. The shortening of the effective edge from the front should even out the taper in the width so the board isn't as squirrelly but turn initiation is still easy.
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

hello everyone - I am new, but have been following the forum for ages.

I have built 4 powder boards so far and have taken a different route than the conventional mass produced models.

Have a look at Moss Snowsticks or Gentemsticks for some inspiration on design and a different approach.

long gentle nose rockers, smooth sidecuts and a variety of tail shapes - I have just made two wing swallow tails - I'll post some pictures when they are de-flashed and ready for public consumption. Cores are English Ash and Spruce with ash sidewalls - 6.5 -7mm tapering to 1mm at the nose and tail. Shaped on cad router. 20oz bi-ax glass with a central carbon strip stringer and two extra angled stringers in the nose.

I have always been a skier and didn't like the snowboard vibe/culture and then I happened across the two brands I mentioned and the way they do things.

Hope this helps

Gilo
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Gilo wrote:hello everyone - I am new, but have been following the forum for ages.

I have built 4 powder boards so far and have taken a different route than the conventional mass produced models.

Have a look at Moss Snowsticks or Gentemsticks for some inspiration on design and a different approach.

long gentle nose rockers, smooth sidecuts and a variety of tail shapes - I have just made two wing swallow tails - I'll post some pictures when they are de-flashed and ready for public consumption. Cores are English Ash and Spruce with ash sidewalls - 6.5 -7mm tapering to 1mm at the nose and tail. Shaped on cad router. 20oz bi-ax glass with a central carbon strip stringer and two extra angled stringers in the nose.

I have always been a skier and didn't like the snowboard vibe/culture and then I happened across the two brands I mentioned and the way they do things.

Hope this helps

Gilo
Start a thread in the journal section.

Will be cool to see your pics as I've also done a few powder boards similar to Moss boards. Even done a shorter version of a winterstick swallowtail.
satch

Post by satch »

Core and base are ready. board is not going to be pressed till the next weekend. I'll probably use a hybrid camber/rocker as bottom

Any critizism is welcome.

Cheers,
Sebastian