tip and tails

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

tip and tails

Post by the.quass »

I saw a guy riding the lift in these guys last year. He was teli skier on them. I am not sure what you would need them for in AU but...
I have only just been able to find what they are. Anyone have any thoughts or feels about the seriousness of the tip and tail design? Anyone made/skied anything like this? They definitely get peoples attention.

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Heres some weirdness from way back
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... sc&start=0

I see them around here a bit made 6 hours from me, skiers who know dont ski them, guy I know owns his own ski co and used to love them but he doesnt build anything like that now thats for sure.
If you want a ski you can ride the pipe and ski pow maybe but they do both marginally.
falls

Post by falls »

I've seen people on them in Japan.
They would no doubt go great in deep snow. And probably just get you back to the lift on the hard pack. They get a fair bit of tip flap at high speed.
One of the guys in this clip is on Surface skis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz4F2X1xSc8

I think the general trend has been away from a huge tip splay to a more early rise that gives you the float in pow, but you can still engage any sidecut in the rocker on hardpack.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

When those Surface skis came out in like 09 I got to test them and talk to the owner of Surface about them. If my memory serves me correctly he said they wanted to make a more skate like rocker, and the first time he saw them from the factory he questioned if the rocker would even allow the ski to move. It is a fun ski shape for sure, it allows for some easy air in powder and they are good all over the resort even park.