Edge / ABS

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

Edge / ABS

Post by mammuth »

Thinking about the width of the sidewall.

Many people here seem to make it 8-10mm wide. On some skis where i destroyed the edge i could see that the ABS was the same width like the edge (see upper drawing). Sometimes the core gets a hit too...

Im not sure if its preferable to make the ABS a little bit wider then the edge to protect the core (lower drawing) or if this has any disadvantages:

p.s. will try to post image in next post due to newbie limitations ;)
Last edited by mammuth on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Hmm, posting the image doesnt work.... Still not allowed
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Ahhhh :)
Last edited by mammuth on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pmg

Post by pmg »

If you destroyed the edge and the sidewall, what would making the sidewall wider help? edge would still get destroyed...
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

From what I've read about that, the idea behind having the sidewall the same width as the edge is for simplicity for those who attach the sidewalls to the cores during the lamination process -» no edge rabbet needed, you "just" have to make your sidewall thinner (in thickness, not width) and it will take care of the added thickness due to the edges over the base material.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

I did cut up the destroyed ski right now (a production model), the sidewall was only 4mm wide so the edge material was halfway above the wood core (which was badly damaged too).

So there are 3 ways to do the sidewalls / edges ... Just a matter of taste or do you see any advantages / disadvantages?

Last edited by mammuth on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

@ben: I will rabbet, so this will be no factor for me. Just thinking if there will be a difference in strength / durability ... im known for skiing on stones ;)

This was the 4mm sidewall i mentioned above:

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The width of the ABS sidewall does more than protect the core. An ABS sidewall running the full width of the edge including the tangs/tabs (8-10mm) will make for a slightly softer ski because the ABS is softer than wood.

In the pic of the blown-out ski the ABS is covering the edge but not the tangs of the edge. This gives the ski a slightly stiffer flex because there's wood over the tangs/tabs instead of plastic.

There's no right or wrong way really. All 3 drawings below are acceptable. Although having the ABS sidewall extend past the full edge is probably the least desirable.
falls

Post by falls »

plastic is more expensive than wood
plastic is usually heavier than wood
production skis use less plastic (in general) in the sidewalls to reduce cost and weight.
I think having some wood over the edge will give you a better ski for carving turns. The wood will support the edge better than plastic. But the more plastic you have over the edge the better it will be at absorbing impacts - the edge and sidewall may deform and spring back or remain deformed, but you are less likely to get crumpling that happens with wood.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

So generally speaking for a nice carving ski with good grip on ice a smaller abs is better (lets ignore the ski flex now, just edge related) but for a more forgiving / easier to repair edge a wider abs is a good idea (powder ski).

The ABS breaks on high impact, but its easier to replace then a smashed core. On the other hand if its broken this wide the upper and lower glassfibre belt is also damaged.

Will use my remaining ABS, then switch over to pouring sidewalls .. which diesnt change the question of width ;)
Tom
vinman

Post by vinman »

How much you plan on Beveling your sidewall also plays a part in width.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

aiming for 10-15degrees
Tom
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

My two cents, ABS is tougher than wood, but a compressed edge into a wood sidewall is easier to repair than cracked up ABS. Mainly because you can bond in new wood so much better that new abs to abs. Also wood is easier to remove, shape in to rebuild a section of core/sidewall.

I've successfully repaired compressed edges in wood just by prying the edge straight, chiseling out the smushed wood and replacing with a fiber and resin mixture