Ramp skis patent for new rapid-prototyping.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backyardskier

Ramp skis patent for new rapid-prototyping.

Post by backyardskier »

http://freeskier.com/the-wire/ramp-spor ... technology

Pioneering ski and snowboard manufacturer Ramp Sports has been awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on its groundbreaking ski and snowboard molding process. Ramp’s exclusive patented technology bypasses the cumbersome mold development process traditionally required for ski and snowboard manufacturing resulting in a significant advancement within the snow sports industry. With its newly patented molding process, Ramp designers can be more creative, instantly changing materials and dimensions, decreasing turnaround time and enabling faster product advancement. Today, the biggest changes in ski and snowboard design are about shape, and RAMP’s technology gives the brand a tremendous advantage enabling it to change shape anytime without substantial tooling costs.

“We are proud to be the only ski and snowboard manufacturer in the world with our rapid-prototyping technology that allows us to adapt product designs instantaneously,” said Mike Kilchenstein, President and C.E.Snow of Ramp Sports. “We can literally have our team testing skis and snowboards on the mountain in the morning and refining their designs in the afternoon. Our competition often has to wait years to implement radical design changes because they are bound to a costly mold production process that uses very expensive tooling which needs to last many years. The problem with the old process is the molds become obsolete quickly. Now, Ramp is only limited by an afternoon and our imagination!”

Ramp’s newly patented manufacturing process was originally conceptualized and engineered from its state of the art, eco-conscious facility in Park City, Utah. Proudly, all RAMP skis, snowboards and skateboards are designed and produced in the USA for peak performance and quality.

They dont say what the process is or really hint towards it. They use a vacuum system so my guess is they are cnc molds out of some kind of inexpensive material. What kind of system do you guys think they found the need to patent?
richie

Re: Ramp skis patent for new rapid-prototyping.

Post by richie »

backyardskier wrote:http://freeskier.com/the-wire/ramp-spor ... technology

Pioneering ski and snowboard manufacturer Ramp Sports has been awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on its groundbreaking ski and snowboard molding process. Ramp’s exclusive patented technology bypasses the cumbersome mold development process traditionally required for ski and snowboard manufacturing resulting in a significant advancement within the snow sports industry. With its newly patented molding process, Ramp designers can be more creative, instantly changing materials and dimensions, decreasing turnaround time and enabling faster product advancement. Today, the biggest changes in ski and snowboard design are about shape, and RAMP’s technology gives the brand a tremendous advantage enabling it to change shape anytime without substantial tooling costs.

“We are proud to be the only ski and snowboard manufacturer in the world with our rapid-prototyping technology that allows us to adapt product designs instantaneously,” said Mike Kilchenstein, President and C.E.Snow of Ramp Sports. “We can literally have our team testing skis and snowboards on the mountain in the morning and refining their designs in the afternoon. Our competition often has to wait years to implement radical design changes because they are bound to a costly mold production process that uses very expensive tooling which needs to last many years. The problem with the old process is the molds become obsolete quickly. Now, Ramp is only limited by an afternoon and our imagination!”

Ramp’s newly patented manufacturing process was originally conceptualized and engineered from its state of the art, eco-conscious facility in Park City, Utah. Proudly, all RAMP skis, snowboards and skateboards are designed and produced in the USA for peak performance and quality.

They dont say what the process is or really hint towards it. They use a vacuum system so my guess is they are cnc molds out of some kind of inexpensive material. What kind of system do you guys think they found the need to patent?
I'm guessing they have perfected an automated pressing profile? Something you dial up a nose to tail pressing profile on the computer (regardless of whether they are vacuum or air bag pressing) and it translates this into a bed of vertical pistons or actuators to tweak a rocker/camber bed that the profile sits on. I suspect thats what they are calling a mould?

If this is for prototyping a capped ski construction then the sidewall curve/radius profile could be automated too although tricky I wonder if they have that dialed to automate one off design prototype capped skis?

Sounds tricky!
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

IIRC information on all patents is public domain and can be looked up online.
To me article it sounds more like marketing.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
richie

Post by richie »

MadRussian wrote:IIRC information on all patents is public domain and can be looked up online.
To me article it sounds more like marketing.
good call!

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Balllz!
victim of abuse/bullying

Post by victim of abuse/bullying »

lksdfjlsdjkf
Last edited by victim of abuse/bullying on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:56 am, edited 10 times in total.
rnordell

Post by rnordell »

Here is the patent application.
http://www.google.com/patents/US20140062064
The first method of using a machined out flat steel plate that doubles as the edge seems heavy. The second method of cutting a channel in the ptex for the edge to sit in is not really that new, essentially use the ptex sheet as a disposable plastic cassette. The novel part is placing the rectangular piece of ptex, with the cut edge channel, into a pocket machined into their tool. This indexes the base and core in a specific location, and is not that much different than how many home builders currently setup their molds.
richie

Post by richie »

rnordell wrote:Here is the patent application.
http://www.google.com/patents/US20140062064
The first method of using a machined out flat steel plate that doubles as the edge seems heavy. The second method of cutting a channel in the ptex for the edge to sit in is not really that new, essentially use the ptex sheet as a disposable plastic cassette. The novel part is placing the rectangular piece of ptex, with the cut edge channel, into a pocket machined into their tool. This indexes the base and core in a specific location, and is not that much different than how many home builders currently setup their molds.
ahh so I was totally thinking end to end rocker camber moulds and profiles, not plan shape.....

Does this really make life easier for r&d ? When I saw "rapid prototyping" mentioned I read it as taking away the hard to do stuff for one offs - such as using variable adjustable press profiles to refine those curves. I know some of you guys have tried that already anyway with varying success, its certainly something I'd like one day. But this really doesn't look like a game changer is it? For rapid prototyping you cnc your plan shape out of base material, get your tricky edge bending attachment skilled guy who does it day in day out to put the edges on quickly, then you still have the usual core profiling and layup and pressing and post pressing cleanup to do.

Someone please explain how this is a time saver really? I'm keen to understand it but to be honest I hate reading patent legal talk it does my head in and my eyes glaze over, I like things explained in layman's terms not lawyers terms!

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Im with that guy^
The sun will come up tomorrow and nothing has really changed.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I commend Ramp for being innovative. Patents are expensive and hard to enforce. You can spend all you time and money defending it. Unless they plan on selling/licensing the patent I don't think patents (in general) are worth it. Maybe better off keeping the technology/idea in house and promote what it can do for them and their customer to get an advantage over the competition.

But this does give me an idea! :idea:
Dream

Post by Dream »

I've seen builders using a CNC path to cut edge channel in Ptex for 3/4 edge wraps...
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I'm pretty sure I've seen this done before long before the patent date in two places, by Marcus at Wildschnee and by Phenix snowboards both in making their 3 piece splitboards. I'm not sure how the prior art from europe affects the enforceability of a US patent. But I'd also say it's a patent as a marketing announcement. . . . so make a mass-produced-price custom outline and rocker ski/board already then.

Good PR job so far though for vacuum construction which has historically been looked down on as leaving resin rich composites compared to pressing. Hard to respect their authenticity when they claim that their ski materials are at rest in their natural state and not under strain at 4 or 5 bar which creates a "bigger sweet spot." Classic Hooeey there, same flat core made into a molded shape.

I really think Community Skis has the coolest quick custom approach out there, hats off to you guys!! Yeah for actually doing it!
richie

Post by richie »

gozaimaas wrote:Im with that guy^
The sun will come up tomorrow and nothing has really changed.
Says he in the land of the rising sun!!!!! Looks like you've had an epic time lately mate have you actually got any time for real work and board building or is it just ride ride ride between shovelling snow off your roof?

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I see no novelty here. Perhaps I dont understand this. Besides ramp skis look terrible, I fondeled the entire line. They look nothing like industry standard quality at all. They should be ignored until they bring up the fit and finish of their product.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Well, the steel plate as edges sounds like an nbd, but a stupid one that is. If I image this right it's a huge waste of material and a PITA to cut the flashing.

The routered channel in a full piece of base to take up the edges is definitely nothing special...been doing it for years, but over it now haha

Maybe I should patent the ribbed molds I copied from someone else on this forum 8)