edge and base thickness ... flex

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

edge and base thickness ... flex

Post by mammuth »

Have u guys some experience about base and edge thickness and the influence to the flex?

Unfortunately i did another model with the new thicker material, so i cant really tell if there is any difference.
Would like to use the thicker material also on my older model and now im unsure if i should mod the core profile.

P.S. ja i know its all about trying ;)
Tom
vinman

Post by vinman »

I think any increase in stiffness would be negligible from using thicker base material.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Considering your composite layers aren't going to change, and considering the type of materials that are changing and that they are outside the composite layers I would guess that stiffness won't change a lot but you might get a more "damp" ride from the end result.

What are the different thicknesses you're using? Base material is a lot of the weight in a ski/snowboard.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

1.8mm edges and now 2.4mm edges
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

so the base is 0.6mm thicker ... i checked right now both skis .. i think the influence is quite small.

Just was wondering because somebody here mentioned the influence of the abs sidewall width on the flex
Tom
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The base material has a very low stiffness compared to the composite, or the core material (unless you're using something like foam). The difference will be negligible.

The steel has an appreciable stiffness, but will 0.6mm extra be noticeable? Given the variability everywhere else in hand-making skis, I doubt it.