Fliberglass instead of plastic top layer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rsotak

Fliberglass instead of plastic top layer

Post by rsotak »

Had some delamination issues with a PTEX topsheet. Was thinking of going with just a light 2oz fiberglass protective layer for the next build.

Anyone done this? How did it hold up? Did you treat the surface since it has exposed epoxy on it?
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

P-tex topsheet? Man that's a heavy layup. What made you want to use p-tex?

A few people are doing the no topsheet build. I've only done it once myself, super light. Just make sure your resin is UV resistant or balanced or however it is they describe it, handles the sun :D

Are you thinking about ripping the ptex off? Go for it, then just hot coat the top layer of glass. Should work out sweet.
rsotak

Post by rsotak »

I guess technically it was polyester PBT. Normal clear topsheet material.

My thought was to not change the existing skis but make a new pair. I was thinking a quick clearcoat over top to add UV resistance, but wasn't sure if it was necassary.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Lots of people have done ptex for topsheets, but you're right it's pretty heavy. K2 did it on the Public Enemies back in like 05? 06? I did it on my first few pairs I made, before switching to PBT (and now nylon)
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Hi rsotak,

I made my last ski without topsheet. I just coated the triax glass with an aditional layer of epoxy. The result were two things I didn´t like at all: little pinholes in the coating. Maybe these can be prevented with an aditional layer of thin glass. And the glass chips of in little pieces at the tips of my skis (yes, I am one oft those oldschoolkneetogetherskier). Besides that the top of the ski gets scratched easily.

On the other side: you save weight and work.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

how about fiberglass mat instead of 2oz fiberglass fabric.

mat is light. Initially thicker and will require more epoxy to saturate.

Anybody tried fiberglass mat as a top layer?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Danielbroski

Post by Danielbroski »

One of my last pairs I painted the top layer of fiberglass for a graphic and added a thin coat of polyurethane. I really like how the turned out and after some solid days on them haven't noticed any more damage their topsheets than I get on my other skis topsheets. Theres a few pictures on my journal.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

We made a bunch of decks using fiberglass as the topsheet. Best results I found was with a 4 oz sglass or eglass. Pinholes were a problem at first, got past that by using perforated peel ply or peel ply with resinflow material (available at fiberglass supply) over the top. Resinflow leaves a texture in the topsheet that looks cool but collects snow on cold days. With either add a coat of polyurethane after the epoxy cures for UV protectant. Advantage is that it is a little lighter and doesn't delam but it does chip easier. We vacuum press our decks so not sure how well these methods will work in a I beam or similar press.

Give it a try, you'll probably have a couple cosmetic flaws before you get it right. Let me know if you need more info. Good luck!
www.rymexp.com
On the edge of control is a good place to be!