Pressing Skis with Titanal

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

A lot of the guys in the alpine snowboard industry have titanal layers in their boards. They were using .3 for the longest time but I am pretty sure they are discontinuing it. Test have been done with the .4 product with good results. .6 does seem thick...Where did you acquire your titanal from?
Boulderski

titanal - bonding .6mm

Post by Boulderski »

I have also been playing with some .6mm titanal layers for my topsheet. I have heard in the past about the spring effect of skis when they hit snow - I am curios as to how much effect this will have. I am only running titanal on the topsheet and am about to take a prototype on snow soon.
I did lose camber with the titanal - which worked well as I wanted slightly less camber than my previous all wood versions.

Bonding - yeah bonding straight to glass/ wood is tough. In my test strips I bonded titanal to 19 oz glass to wood and found it easy to peel back. I also bonded titanal too VDs and then glass and found it too be an extremely strong bond.

I am curious - do I need a light veil of glass between vds and titanal - seems as though the vds bonded better too titanal than straight glass? Opinions?
in theory having a light veil of glass may hold more epoxy between the VDs and titanal...

Pressing - I am pressing 30min heated to 160 from the base and then allowing to cool under pressure for 30 minutes before removing. I am using Entropy resins for epoxy

Do you have any pictures to share of your titanal skis?
g-ram

Post by g-ram »

This webpage has an interesting little writeup about using VDS rubber to enhance bonding to titanal. Might be worth a read.

http://www.snowboardmaterials.com/index ... ubber-foil