colouring resin

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

colouring resin

Post by Gilo »

Hello everyone

My normal lay up means that the last layer before the top sheet is uni CF. I am beginning to use more translucent topsheets that work best with a light substrate therefore having uni CF underneath doesn't bring out the best in them. I need to make the black cf white/light

what do you reckon is the best way to achieve this? Colour the resin, put something white in (what?) as the penultimate sheet in the lay up?

Any answers gratefully received

Thanks

Gilo
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

Hey Gilo,

unrelated, but I would put your uni carbon under the glass on the deckside. Uni carbon is pretty thin and is less prone to failure in compression if it has some glass over it or a veneer layer over it.

For color, You have opaque pigment for your resin or some kind of very thin fabric. If your uni carbon is on the core with glass above it, the colored resin will be more opaque and brighter than having a real thin layer of resin on black carbon which might not make any difference at all really.

There is a 2.2 ounce white innegra fabric out there, but the weave is a bit loose, the higher denier or 4oz. weight fabric is real tight and finishes white. On the rails if you have any sticking out you can cut it with a razor blade sawing motion or smooth the fuzz from sanding with a hot soldering iron.
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Hey guys

I have to agree that colored resin to laminate the carbon fiber will not nearly be enough. I would paint the back of the topsheet with a white epoxy based paint. This worked really well for me in the past, but make some adhesion tests first. I had to press the skis while the paint was still a little tacky, otherwise the adhesion was not good.

Furthermore i agree that it is better to have the carbon between other layers, but i would strongly advise you not to put it directly on the core either. The huge difference in stiffness this will create big shear stresses on the transition which can lead to delamination.

I always put the biax layer against the core to have a smoother transition. If you need to place UD carbon against the core for whatever reasons, use a 30gsm glass or polyester fleece inbetween.

cheers, Reto