soak in colour to/etch/stain/colour/dye veneer under vacuum

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

andi

soak in colour to/etch/stain/colour/dye veneer under vacuum

Post by andi »

Hi Everyone..

i know that some people do let their veneer topsheets 'soak' in colour under vacuum, obviously before lamination;) aim is the colour is deeper in the veneer itself, you can still see the wood and its structure but cannot scratch the colour off easily.
Not sure what the correct terminology is for this, if etching/staining/whatever..

Anyone has any experience with this?
What sort of colour, water or solvent based, how long under vacuum, how long to dry, resistance to water/epoxy/solvents/sanding afterwards?

Thanks.
Andi
- skiers, come to the dark side, we have girls and beer -
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Lasur!?
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Lasur only covers the top layer and can be scratched off.

I think he refers to what is also done to many veneers used in skateboards. They are called dyed veneers. I have seen someone on the internet successfully dye a veneer by soaking it in fabric dye in a heated tray for a few days.

In veeneer mills they use large pressurized and heated tanks to dye the veneer afaik.
andi

Post by andi »

yes chris. veneer topsheet needs to be able to be sanded without the colour beeing sanded/scratched off straight away..
i know it has been done successuffly for snowboards using vacuum but do not know any specifics. not sure about heat.
so skateboards builders have done this? hmm and mills so i might ask my veneer supplier..
any more ideas?
thanks
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I guess you could do vacuum infusion with dye instead of resin to soak the wood.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

Dyed veneers shouldn't be too hard to find. I have some 36" long pieces from here
http://www.dyed-veneer.com/dyed_veneers.aspx
haven't used them yet but they look very nice, I have the blue, light blue and blue green colors, and some black to make pinlines.

the grain on the koto wood looks great, site says its from europe.
andi

Post by andi »

thanks dave excellent idea. i wasn't aware that this might be readily available. even better. i'l ask my suppliers.