Question about inconsistencies in bottom mold

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

LumberJacked

Question about inconsistencies in bottom mold

Post by LumberJacked »

Hello all! I have yet to press a pair of skis, but I am getting there. I didn't follow anyone's idea for adjustable molds and the result might be disastrous!

I never know the right wording to search the forums but I didn't find anything that explicitly answered this question:

If on top of this bottom mold I stack Masonite or hardboard, aluminum sheet, heat blanket, another aluminum sheet and then layup cassette, is there any chance
that the ugliness of my bottom mold won't transfer to my ski?

Pictures to come since I am an illegitimate member haha

They will be clamped together with pipe clamps during layup so the actual gap might be smaller.
LumberJacked

Post by LumberJacked »

This is a second post! Howdy!
LumberJacked

Post by LumberJacked »

I will learn to actually post photos in the body soon! Sorry for the url

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9M4fB7gnk15eDSfb9
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Are you talking about the gap between the tip sections and main body of ski or flatness across the mold?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I don't see any real issues. Your mold looks even enough. Btw, you don't really need an aluminum sheet under the heat blanket. Just put the heat blanket directly on top of the hardboard/masonite and maybe just add a second layer of that if you're worried about uneveness.
LumberJacked

Post by LumberJacked »

Delam: Both! I have seen the myriad of "wavey" bases people pull out of the press their first few times and am trying to avoid that on either axis.

Chrismp: Thanks! I like to save a little $ anywhere I can haha
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Your good bro! I’ve pieces together tons of 3 piece moulds. “ It’ll grind out is the attitude� to have here . That looks fine in the pic
LumberJacked

Post by LumberJacked »

Right on! I'm glad to hear! Once I figure out a way to get this 2000lb press out of my yard and into my shop, it shouldn't be long before I am pressing! Thanks guys!