digital printing

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

digital printing

Post by Gilo »

Does anybody have any experience of UV digitally printing topsheets.

I am planning on using ICP 2117 000 (= transparent ABS- TPU top sheet). Before printing do I have to prime the surface (if so what with) or can I just an it through the printer?

Am getting some confused messages from the manufacturer

Thanks

Gilo
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

If I remember correctly, we tried it one with isosport 8210 printing directly on the bonding side of the topsheet and then backscreened with epoxy ink. Can't remember the model of the UV printer we used. It delaminated pretty quickly with the delam occuring between the topsheet and the UV ink.
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

Hmm - that's exactly what I was going to try Chris-grr. I have seen them do something like that in the J Skis vid so I will keep trying.

Gilo
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

There is a variety of UV printers with different inks and there are also primers for printing on plastics. So, as J skis have proven, there definitely is a way.

If it helps, J skis is using a Fujifilm Acuity printer...so maybe you can find someone with that type of printer.
motoman

Re: digital printing

Post by motoman »

The material you are going to use 2117 is not suitable for UV printing. If you will look at information mentioned on manufacturer web site, there are denoted methods that are suitable for your plastic.
Also the material that Mr. Chrismp use 8210 comes in different variations that could be suitable for UV inks and not. As far as I remember only ICP 8212 only suits for UV printing.
Before applying any kind of printing you better ask manufacturer about material properties and methods of print application.
chrislandy

Re: digital printing

Post by chrislandy »

I had some success with DURACLEAR topsheet, I solvent printed a reverse on the layup side, then laid up with a white pigmented resin.

unfortunately my solvent printer is bust now :( if you can find a local printers with a solvent printer and can persuade them to run your topsheet through it then you might be in luck