How Long To Press Skis with No Heat

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Louis

How Long To Press Skis with No Heat

Post by Louis »

My son and I are going to press his first pair of skis tomorrow and I am not having any luck searching for how long we should leave the skis in the press with no heat. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
LumberJacked

Re: How Long To Press Skis with No Heat

Post by LumberJacked »

I may not be the best resource because I have been “one day away” from pressing my first pair for months haha. I assume this has to do with the set and cure time for your epoxy. Check out the specs on your epoxy/resin for whatever temp you plan on pressing!
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Indeed you should look a the specs for your epoxy. It should list a cure time and a given temperature. Take careful note of "pot life" as well. You'll be spreading the epoxy into a thin film, which will slow it down. If you have no heat, and are in, say, an unheated garage, then I'd say that no matter what epoxy you're using you'll want to press for at least 12 hours. You can't press it for too long, only too short, so feel free to err on the side of longer.

I have a little bit here about epoxy which could help: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/MonkeyWiki/Epoxy
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
BAR

Post by BAR »

I just pressed my first board (unheated as well). I used the snowboard materials epoxy to do it but it is intended to be pressed at room temperature. It needed to be pressed at room temp for 8 hours but recommended 24 hrs. Then most people suggest waiting 6 more days (a week after pressing) to cut it out. I would err on the side of caution.
BAR

Post by BAR »

I used the snowboard materials epoxy and it is designed for room temperature. It was the only ski/snowboard specific epoxy I could find. Even at that it requires 8 hrs for pressing and recommends 24 hrs. Err on the side of caution.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Well duh, yes I'll touch base with Lindsay at https://www.snowboardmaterials.com where I bought the epoxy.

While I'm at it, how long should we let the skis be after pulling them out of the press and before we start cleaning up the flashing? I seem to remember seeing something about 5 days.

Thanks Folks!
Louis

Post by Louis »

Yes, I checked the https://www.snowboardmaterials.com website and it says 8hrs minimum, but 24hrs recommended. I will be pressing in our shop where the temp is 65F. After removing the skis from the press, we'll wait a week or so before starting to clean them up.

Thanks again all!