Delaminated tips

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Joostw

Delaminated tips

Post by Joostw »

Hello,

About a year ago I made a set of allmountain ski's. Unfortunately while making the sandwich I figured out that I messed up my tip spacers. I missed like 2 cm's at both tips. This wasn't a problem at first but when I fell quite hard on soft snow both tips delaminated because this 2cm piece fell out. Now I'm left with two delaminated ski's.
Is there any proper way to laminate the tips again? It isn't possible for water to get to the core. I was thinking about two bolts through the tips and a nut under the base. Weld the nut to the bold and tadaa, fixed. Though it looks very ugly and I hope that there is a better way. I don't think only epoxy will do the trick to be honest.

An impression about the delamination:
vinman

Re: Delaminated tips

Post by vinman »

That pics is kind of blurry but I'd expoxy and clamp it and see what happens. Why do yon think epoxy won't work?

Maybe upload a better pic?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Joostw

Re: Delaminated tips

Post by Joostw »

I tried epoxy when it delaminated once but since I had a missing part of the ski I filled it up with some fibres. Obviously didn't work out cause it didn't really stick together. That said, the glass fibre is still there.

I just put a bunch of epoxy between it and clamped it. Hopefully this will work otherwise it's gonna be brute force unfortunately. On the other hand, it gives me a good reason to make another pair of ski's.

I don't really have good pictures because they'll all end up blurry. I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked out.