Sidewall Help

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bmtroublemaker

Sidewall Help

Post by Bmtroublemaker »

My plan is to attach my UHMW sidewall to the bamboo core tonight on my first pair of skis! I have been thinking about this for some time and Im not sure if its a good approach or terrible. If anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome!

My plan is to take some scrap base and pieces of edge and attache the edge to the base, from there I will use that piece of base/edge as a shim to keep the bottom of the sidewall the thickness of the edge teeth above the base while I super glue the sidewall to the core. I have not profiled the core yet, I will be doing so via a router and a profiling jig. Im hoping that this approach will limit the need to have to use a rabbiting bit on the base/sidewall to create the notch needed for the edge teeth. Im a little worried that the sidewall will rip off during the profiling step. Has anyone ever done this? Am I putting way to much thought into this? If needed I can attache a sketch to help with a visual.

Thanks for the help!
chrismp

Re: Sidewall Help

Post by chrismp »

Sounds like it should work, but it also sounds like just routing a rabbet would be less work. ;)