Snowboard wood core design help - Epoxy center line

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

djeisenbe

Snowboard wood core design help - Epoxy center line

Post by djeisenbe »

Hi,
I was thinking of making a wood core snowboard with some spalted maple I have milled from a tree that fell on my property. My plan was use two maple boards but with a differentiating material in the middle for the blank I had two thoughts
1) Black Walnut (approx a 1.5-2" wide strip down the middle). Would the black walnut be too stiff?
2) Epoxy Resin River down the middle (again 1.5-2"). Similar to how river tables are built. Not sure how the epoxy would affect the stiffness of the board
Would welcome thoughts on whether either of these would work.
thanks in advance
chrismp

Re: Snowboard wood core design help - Epoxy center line

Post by chrismp »

I can't comment on the black walnut as I have never used it myself. Regarding the epoxy river, I would strongly suggest to not go that route. Epoxy by itself is very brittle and not suited as a core material. It will definitely crack as soon as the board is flexed for the first time.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

what chrismp said ...but it will be a nice table :D
Tom
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Old-- but looks like the trail went sorta cold from the responses.
I got into saw milling and drying lumber this past year-- you will see some stuff from me this winter with wood from our property onto boards.
Your ideas are fine-- but my suggestion is to use those ideas on your topsheet and not your core. Reach out if you need someone to bounce ideas off. Good luck.
slalomnick

Post by slalomnick »

Would it be possible to cut your river table board into a veneer after pouring and use that under a topsheet? Thoughts from the ski gods out there? I'm just a lurker but thought that might be a way to do what you are asking.
BS Tech

Post by BS Tech »

what about a cast urethane river instead of acrylic, kinda like making a split board?!
should give some damping too!