Splitboard "tounge and groove" concept

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o.ahlgren

Splitboard "tounge and groove" concept

Post by o.ahlgren »

Hi,

first post here but been prowling on this site for a long time and I consider it among the best sources of literature ever.
so, a sincere thanks to everyone who's shared their knowledge.

did my first build a year ago (splitboard) that turned out great. i'm now building a couple more for friends who were impressed by the first one.

looking for ways to improve the first build and I am looking into Furbergs Tounge&Groove concept.
i think the idea is great, and the included ice scraper certainly kills the initial fear that it would be impossible to get all the snow out of the groove.

my concern however lies in the fact that there will be a stainless steel piece running along a portion of the board (looks like its about 400mm long),
and i'm sceptical about how this impacts flex/pop. any thoughts here?

my thinking to remedy this issue is to only have 2 or 3 smaller tounges (maybe 30mm wide) with sufficient spacing in between so as to not affect the stiffness/flex.

however, not sure how much pressure the tounges would then be placed on the upper/lower insides of the groove which could be a cause for delamination at these points?

really interested in pursuing this as i think (if it works) it would really help with adding torsional stiffness between the two board halves.

plain stupid idea? or?
chrismp

Re: Splitboard "tounge and groove" concept

Post by chrismp »

I am thinking about doing the same. My initial idea was to make the tongue out of a thicker sheet of composite (probably carbon fiber), however I am concerned that the carbon fiber will get too beat up during skinning with the risk of not being able to assemble the board for the downhill.

Do you have a plan how you would add the tongue and groove to the board?
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

hi chrismp,

i was also first thinking of some sort of composite for tounge but i don't think it'll hold up.

my plan was to add the tounge post layup and after cutting the board in half. cut the slot (for both halves) with a router using a jig (making sure not to go deeper than the sidewall allows). then insert and epoxy the stainless steel tounge.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

...and clean up the mess after you glued it in :)

Following your project :)

Just wondering how you sharpen your inside edge then
Tom
o.ahlgren

Post by o.ahlgren »

Haha true mammuth, sharpening will be tricky.

Yeah... maybe its not a super idea after all.

I’m gonna do some more thinking.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

personally, I think this is a solution for which there was not a problem. If you are riding a lot on hardpack with a split (why?), overlapping pucks and maybe an extra overlapping clip in between the feet are probably more than enough to keep the halves in alignment. Look at the overlapping metal pieces available from Plum perhaps.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

This is a solution for the endless problem ... the endless problem of marketing ;)
Tom
JSquare

Post by JSquare »

Very happy you posted this here. I saw some chatter on the fb group and its just not a great place to get into it.

The idea is neat. The sharpening piece is interesting. There are people out there rocking DIY splits without the inner edge at all. Its not ideal but enough for me to pause and take a sip of coffee. So i'll throw out some dumb ideas to share...

My issue with the tongue/groove is that you don't have much thickness to work from and if you have any meaningful load your gonna snap some parts. I think you are stuck trying to do this on top of the board with extra hardware, or maybe a 3D mold.i think the way i'm wrapping my head around this is what if you could lessen/lighten the weight from the puck/clip style and do something that runs down most of the edge instead (analog would be burton channel vs inserts-- don't supplement, replace)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

As for this tech being a meaningful addition to splitboards or just marketing, a friend of mine rides one of those Furberg splits (after riding Jones for a long time) and swears by it - in particular for hitting backcountry jumps.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

The thing is, how much you have to fiddling around setting up your board after a hike?
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

On that topic my friend said that she rarely has to use the scraper tool provided and that the halves go together pretty much like any other splitboard.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Yeah a friend seems happy too about the Furbergs too. Not sure if he is happy because of marketing or real life ;)

For me its a solution for a problem i never had :D

Even if the halves flex a little bit different during a turn, you will not feel it in powder. And on hard stuff the second half doesnt even contact the snow in the turn, soo ? With snowboards you have the bindings which connects the board halves quite well. Im open for other insights, but till now the theory didnt satisfy me enough to start playing around with that concept
Tom