Visible core

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jdline

Visible core

Post by Jdline »

Hey!

I was wondering if it was possible keep te core visible after layup.
I was planning on using flax and carbon underneath the core and flax on top, but flax is not see trough.
Correct me if im wrong but glassfiber is?

Or would i be better of maken a wood veneer top?

Thanx!
chrismp

Re: Visible core

Post by chrismp »

You are right, neither carbon fiber nor flax are see through. Only fiberglass turns transparent when wet out with resin.

A wood veneer topsheet is a great option to get the wood look and still use carbon and/or flax. You could also use a sheet of wood veneer with transparent base material. However, for this I would recommend to cut the veneer so it rests in between the edge tangs on the base.
Jdline

Post by Jdline »

So that the top sheet can gleu up to the fiber under the veneer?

That might work, i have read that topshot on veneer dusnt stick very wel.

I’m going to think about using glas on top of the core instead of carbon or flax!

Thnx mate!
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

You should take your time and read trough the old posts here.
Tom
SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Jdline wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 pm Hey!

I was wondering if it was possible keep te core visible after layup.
I was planning on using flax and carbon underneath the core and flax on top, but flax is not see trough.
Correct me if im wrong but glassfiber is?

Or would i be better of maken a wood veneer top?

Thanx!
even if you have a full glass layup your core will probably be underneath a cloudy/hazy layer after laminating. It is possible to get it perfectly clear with an absolutely dialed process, but most likely you will not get there right away...

Furthermore i would like to add that you plan on using carbon on the bottom does not make any sense in my opinion. carbon is much stiffer than any other fibre so you will move the neutral axis towards the bottom of the ski and therefore load the upper laminate more during bending, as this is usually the compression side this makes no sense to me. I would recommend having a symmetrical layup in the sense that fibre orientation and type are mirrored on top and bottom. the weight can be different but i would have the stiffer laminate on top (for reasons i explained before). My go-to laminate is UD carbon or glass and biax flax on both sides which works really really well for me. And glass usually skis nicer than carbon, but depending on what you want you can save some weight with the black stuff. although dimensioning properly is much much harder compared to glass, you can't just use less carbon and leave the core where it was (or at least one shouldn't).
Anyway, i hope i didn't read too much into your question and i do not want to take away from anyone's experience. just my 50 cents.
Jdline

Post by Jdline »

Thanks.

I was planning to use similar layup on bodem and top side of the core, flax and some carbon strips.
And an extra piece of carbon on top on the tail or top, but just for the look of it 😅

Thanks for all the info, ill leave the exposed core for the pro’s 😂
BartSt

Post by BartSt »

Use veneer as a top sheet. Problem solved
Jonrezz

Post by Jonrezz »

To give you an idea of how would look if you did go with fiberglass and clear top sheet here’s a pic:

Jdline

Post by Jdline »

Nice!

Ill try and upload some pics of what it ended like