SnoCad Mixed Camber Design

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TheBagOTricks

SnoCad Mixed Camber Design

Post by TheBagOTricks »

Hey all, newbie here in the VERY early stages of ski building. I am working on getting a few different design ideas fleshed out in SnoCad. The current design I'm working on is a symmetrical flex/shape park ski, with a Rocker-Camber-Rocker profile. From reading through the forum, I see that SnoCad doesn't really support this kind of profile in a single file, but you can do it using two files, one for the ski shape and one for the profile. I took this advice and I've came up with the following design that I've attached to this post. It seems to be okay, but I have a few questions/concerns.

1. Do the running lengths and the tip/tail lengths of both the profile design and the shape design have to be the same? That's how I did it and it makes sense to me... The contact points of the skis will now be the end of the camber, and the rest of the tip/tail will be rockered.

2. Is it possible for me to determine the amount of rocker with this design?

3. This profile makes it look like there won't be a definitive tip/tail curve. If you look at other skis in this shape (ARV 96 for example), there is rocker but there is also a definitive tip and tail curve still. Is this possible to do in SnoCad?

I guess I'm wondering if SnoCad is going to be enough, and if I have done this technique properly. Any help is appreciated!!
Attachments
Profile.JPG
Profile.JPG (337.33 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Shape.JPG
Shape.JPG (330.99 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
JSquare

Re: SnoCad Mixed Camber Design

Post by JSquare »

This one is a little tough.

1 has been debated seriously on here in the past. Best defense of your take is that the lunch trays can stack.

2. I'd ditch snowcad for camber profile. Just punch stuff into a spreadsheet, do like 10 points straight lines between. you dont notice the straight lines

3. not sure... i'm no help here.

I never liked snocad. I did early designs in boardcrafter (which is back up again!) and have moved into legit cad platforms. since.