3d Base questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

FalfaWorkshop

3d Base questions

Post by FalfaWorkshop »

New to the forum, I did some research, didn't find any info on the web or on the forum.
After living near the beach and surfing all the time, and making surfboards, I moved up to the PNW to be close to good snow. I am planning on making a few snowboards. I see a few companies making 3d bases. After making a few hull bottomed surf boards and really liking how different they surf, I want to make a few hulled snowboards/splitboards and see how they do in powder.

How do you do 3d bases in a press? Make a foam mold, and pour a top and bottom concrete mold to use in the press?

Is vacuum press the way to go for 3d bases?

Thanks,
Tyler
sammer

Re: 3d Base questions

Post by sammer »

Google site:skibuilders.com spoon
Should find a fair bit on 3d bases

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Vacuum. A 3D fixed mold for a pneumatic press is complicated and expensive. Or build it like a surfboard, it has been done as well.
Tom
pmg

Post by pmg »

Keep in mind that hardly any ski service will be able to handle 3d bases properly. You definitely will need to search for someone capable handling this, as all machines are made to grind as flat as possible.