Kid's ski

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mark

Kid's ski

Post by mark »

I'm about to start collecting materials to do my first build. I thought I'd build something for my kid because she'll need new skis next season and I figure if my first try doesn't turn out, I'll only have blown half the materials of a full sized ski or board.

So, what I'm looking for is suggestions for profile thickness, tip-waist-tail widths, and camber in the mold to make skis for a 55lb six year old, assuming the skis will be 100cm made of 22oz triax top and botom on a poplar or spruce wood core, and vacuum baged.

I'm not banking on these being her only skis for next season, or turning out at all. I'm just trying to increase my chances of having my first try turn out something that can be used. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Thanks
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey Mark,
I would just stick to the basics. Maybe reduce the under foot height a bit and taper down to 2 or 1.5mm at the ends. You really won't know until you try. Kinda the same logic you stated, give it a try on something smaller and reduce the "waste" although I don't think of it a waste as much as a learnig experience.
rockaukum
sammer

Post by sammer »

old thread but...
i'm about to make up my first pair of skis and i too thought i'd start with a fat ski for my 7yr old daughter. shes a hard charger! and wondering if anyone had any thoughts on core profile? as its my first attempt i'm planning a simple wood and glass creation with some fir and larch i have laying about.
Been thinking cores 6 or 7 mil under foot?
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Ive been thinkin of building kid skis as well since all my friends have kids around 2-3 years and they are about to start sking. Though Id pimp em out.

My plan is to basicly bend and squeeze in the shop then build a pair and compare it.

Though I wonder if its gonna become cheaper then buying a pair considering its gonna be hard to get hands on bindings for a good price.

Anyways I think cheap wood like pine is gonna work just fine for kid skis since you do want soft and light.

Tex
sammer

Post by sammer »

building skis is not necessarily cheap but binders is easy with 3 kids theres always an old pair of kids skis kicking about. shes looking forward to picking out some silk or cotton fabric and helping with the build.
Hit the ski swaps in the fall. kids skis are relatively cheap. as are "adult"skis.then you can use em or just rob the binders and sacrifice the rest to the griz or your local ski god. or make a nice garden bench!
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Greg

Post by Greg »

For bindings, I have had pretty good luck just collecting them when someone wants to get rid of an old pair of skis. I have even found a couple free pairs of skis around the neighborhood with good Marker M46 bindings on them.