Placing dampening rubber

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Noza

Placing dampening rubber

Post by Noza »

When using clear bases, is it necessary to place dampening rubber ontop of steel edges, as it can be seen through the clear base.
Is it possible to place the graphics ontop of the base and edges and then apply the dapening rubber ontop of the graphics? :?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hey again,
I'm not sure about the placement on the rubber but my first skis had no rubber in them and have had no problems with seperation this season. Used about 10 -12 resort days.
RA
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

if you dont laminate well it could give you some litle problems betwen the edges and the fiberglass, it hapens in my second board, in the new one with nothing hapens... no water, less vibration, etc is better invest in rubber tape...

its an advice
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

I believe that one of the main functions of the rubber vibration dampening strip is to assist in lamination by allowing there to be a flexible space between the metal of the edges and the glass. I remember reading somewhere on this site about the different thermodynamic properties of the material inside of a ski / snowboard. Maybe the interview with the qcm epoxies guy??? Anyway metal expands and contracts differently during the curing process than plastic, hence the need for the rubber barrier. I believe some snowboard builders use vds under the inserts, also for the same reason. Aesthetically, I would think that you could trim your vds to the width of your edge tabs and then it would not be as visible through the base.