Graphics and top and base materials

All ski building related commercial posts go here. So if you want to advertise, sell something, etc., please do so here. Personal stuff should be placed in "Yard sale (non-commercial)".

Moderators: Head Monkey, skidesmond, chrismp

Miller Studio

Post by Miller Studio »

powbrewer wrote:Vince - Have you printed on Crown UHMW topsheets? If so, how do they turn out? Wanted to give those a try but wasn't sure if you were printing on them? -Bill
Yes we print on Crown top sheet and base sheets with epoxy. It works great with zero bond problems. As far as final product look and use on the hill I will leave that to personal choice and need.

We have had people ask if we sublimate Crown. We not not. The ink migration in that material is too great. I've seen too few successes and too many fails with that process including color transfer into other objects/products and continual migration over time that kills the graphic. Kind of like the grease that quickly climbs up your paper sack of french fries...
mattman

Post by mattman »

I want to reiterate a question from pg1: can you direct print white? How is the clarity of a minimal graphic on a carbon background with this method?
Miller Studio

Post by Miller Studio »

mattman wrote:I want to reiterate a question from pg1: can you direct print white? How is the clarity of a minimal graphic on a carbon background with this method?
We have done many one (or more) color prints for showing carbon, wood, special "glass" (anyone ever tried a cloth made of flax??...we printed a sheet to showcase it). We have had carbon customers print single color graphics in white or lighter colors with great success. Sometimes we have to hit the white twice or some colors might need a white backup for opacity and color pop against the carbon. For people showing wood, we are usually asked to print a darker color. So the answer is yes, I have seen some very creative graphic uses in 1-3 colors that showcase the construction. Because we have to make a film and go through a press run and epoxy mix for each color, it is expensive for a handful of parts, but really affordable even at what might be considered small volumes. The 8210 is the most expensive material to use, but we have seen many times that a well executed graphic with proper volumes can render a top of the line top sheet at the same cost (or less) than a sublimated sheet of pbt.

Send us an e-mail with your graphic idea and we will tell you the pros and cons.
vince@millerstudio.net
Miller Studio

Metallics and other powders

Post by Miller Studio »

I forgot to mention some other great methods of printing for a carbon look. Just this week alone we did water, snow and skate prints that either had silver, gold, car flake, car pearl and/or fluorescent pigments. All of these give your product a great look, something you can't get with sublimation and stand out great against carbon and black backgrounds.