canadian content

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

canadian content

Post by sammer »

I've been lurking here for a while. great site thanks!
got most of my equipment together. now its time for materials
my question is does anyone know about duty on these things glass, base, etc.? i got stung on the duty thing in the early 80s (bought a bivy sack from early winters 50% duty on fabric) and have been gun shy buying from the states ever since.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Get it marked as a gift of $50 value on the customs form. Done this lots with new skis. No problem thus far.
sammer

Post by sammer »

so i decided to order some base, glass,and topsheet and see what happens with the duty. placed my order dec 23 expecting it to be shipped in the new year. surprise!! got an email yesterday confirming it was shipped on dec 26
thanks kelvin I'm impressed.
Just wish you had edges in stock. I would have ordered them from you instead of the snowboard guys.

thanks again
now to see what happens at customs.
Sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
sammer

Post by sammer »

Great service!! Received my order today. Still no word from the snowboard guys with edges and i placed the order the same day. Thanks guys. I will definitely order from you again. Just gotta finish up my vacuum press (and wait for edges) then I'm set to press. 8)
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Fernie BC? awesome! I am there all the time (I ride a powder skate or a snowskate). I have some materials if you need more, i live in nelson but I drive through fernie every couple weeks and I ride there a bunch.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Well my initial question got answered today,
I got a bill from fed-ex, brokerage fees and taxes $87 $34 tax $53 brokerage
live and learn next time I'll have to get it shipped into montana and run down and pick it up. ;)
whatever happened to free trade?
sam

kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Jeez, I didn't realize Canadian customs was so much. Is USPS better than FedEx?

-kelvin
sammer

Post by sammer »

Kelvin, i think usps is probably the way to go
i got edges from the snowboard guys air mail it still took close to 2 weeks but no brokerage fees.
thanks for your interest
next time i'll request usps air mail and see what happens
live and learn 8)
sam

TexMurphy

Post by TexMurphy »

Fernie!!!

Im comming to fernie in 3 weeks time gonna stay for 5 weeks... love the place.. we went last year for 3 weeks and felt we had to come back for more... Not only is skiing great but the people are fantastic and the atmosphere is great...

Tex
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

kelvin wrote:Jeez, I didn't realize Canadian customs was so much. Is USPS better than FedEx?

-kelvin
Most of that charge is the fee charged by the courier for the privelege of
doing the paperwork for customs. The post office is much better, they will charge a flat fee of 5.00 to do the paperwork and then charge the GST and provincial taxes which are about 13%. On orders under 40.00 there is no fee or taxes payable which is why you often get requests to write the order up for $40.00. Mail is definitely the way to go, I once ordered 20m of base material from Crown off the discard list. They took so long to deliver it that I just let them courier it to me. That cost for shipping 40.00 worth of material was over 200.00 (so much for the good deal)
sammer

Post by sammer »

Ya the taxes i can understand but $53 for brokerage just seem a bit like robbery.
I ordered $60 worth of edges and vacuum tape from the snow board guys they billed me $24 for airmail,
no taxes duty or fees just had to sign for the package at the post office.

graffy

Brokerage/Shipping to Canada

Post by graffy »

I am a big fan of buying things online and ebay, and I always ship via USPS Airmail... it gets here in 7-10 and usually no customs fees. If Canada Post charges customs it is aflat rate of $5 and then the GST on top. A fair value.

Bets of luck!