Frist timer epoxy question...

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Boomer3

Frist timer epoxy question...

Post by Boomer3 »

Im making my first pair of skis for a school project and have a few questions about epoxies.
Many people seem to use the West Systems brand but we're talking coin i cant afford to blow here.
Someone reccomended Mr. Fiberglass, which is said to handle and have similar properties to West systems.

My question is how much epoxy do i need for one pair of skis? and what are some good CHEAP epoxies? can i spend under a hundred dollars on epoxy that WILL WORK for one pair of skis?
mark

Post by mark »

Every wood shop I've worked in used West System for one reason: It's pretty damn fool-proof.

In my opinion, if you're inexperienced with regard to using epoxy, the extra money for one you know will work, even if you don't have everything just-so, may be trivial compared to the cost of losing your core, base, edge, and composite materials due to an epoxy mishap. Save the saving a few bucks on epoxy for when you're sure you've got your process down.

Whatever you end up getting, get enough to mix a few batches and get used to the working time and propertie at different temps and conditions. Try wetting out some scraps of your composites too.

As far as volumes go, I can easily get a snowboard out of a half gallon of West System. Get a friend to build a pair also and split the cost of epoxy, mold materials, and shipping.